The Mocker Rule

Discussion in 'Other Topics' started by Bucky, Jun 18, 2017 at 4:41 PM.

1. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

I intend to unilaterally adopt the following policy for my interactions on the Dinofarm Forums:

I will not respond to any posts that insult a member of the current conversation, or to any follow-up posts by the same person, except to invoke the Mocker Rule.

I will do this regardless of whether anyone else does, but it will be more effective if other people follow suit.

FAQ:
    Q) If you won't respond, does that mean I win the argument?
    A) No, think of it as a technical foul that nullifies the rest of the points you made in that post.

Q) What if I'm insulting @keithburgun, not you?
    A) You're still insulting a participant; it triggers the Mocker Rule.

Q) Can I call the Mocker Rule on you too?
    A) Yes. I endeavor to keep my own posts civil and calling me out when I slip helps me do that.

Q) You called the Mocker Rule on me; what should I do now?
    A) Retract the offending statement by editing the post. Also, apologize to the people you insulted. At that point the insult has been fixed and we can continue the conversation.

Q) Why is it called the Mocker Rule?
    A) The name comes from some Hebrew proverbs e.g. "anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return" and "Throw out the mocker, and fighting goes too"*

Q) What about indirect insults?
    A) They still count in general; do not engage in derogatory speculation about another poster's motivations, parentage or mental health. Also, don't aim blanket insults at groups that a poster happens to be a member of.

Q) Does that mean I can't criticize your ideas?
    A) Insulting an argument is fine, as long as you don't follow it up with "anyone who believes this must..."

Q) Can I insult people not involved in the conversation without triggering the Mocker Rule?
    A) Yes, but it's discouraged; in particular, you need to be careful if that person later joins the conversation.

Q) If you don't invoke the Mocker Rule, does that mean my post was fine?
    A) No, I might be silently ignoring it.

*Proverbs 9:7 and 22:10

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 5:34 PM
  2. SwiftSpear

SwiftSpear Active Member

What would invoking the mocker rule look like? (assuming this post was an insult)

3. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

"I'm not going to reply to post #2 due to the Mocker Rule."

or

"I'm calling the Mocker Rule on Swiftspear."

occasionally adding "for saying to assume his post was an insult" if it's not clear to everyone which piece was an insult.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 5:48 PM
  4. SwiftSpear

SwiftSpear Active Member

Cool, for the record I'm following this principle as well to the best of my ability from now on out. I'm tired of shaming people for being needlessly mean.

5. garcia1000

garcia1000 Well-Known Member

Mr. Asdfjkl the touch typing student sucks!!