Slowdown

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by mgeiger9, Oct 16, 2013.

1. mgeiger9

mgeiger9 New Member

I noticed an issue with slowdown in the later stages of my last couple of games--specifically, when there are many monster nests on the map, both animation and scrolling slow to a crawl, making it very difficult to look around and view different regions. I don't remember at what point the effect became noticeable, but I finished the game with 20+ nests, which spawned as I struggled to eke out a couple of additional points.

Anyone else encounter this problem? I do wonder if it's a hardware issue--I'm playing on an iPhone 5, which works fine for the most part but is probably not ideal.

2. Yojimbo252

Yojimbo252 New Member

I've noticed a slow down at a much earlier point (around 5-6 nests) but I'm playing on an iPhone 4 (not 4S).

On an iPad 1 I experience a lot of crashes to the point it's unplayable.

3. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

It's basically the same on my iPod Touch 4, but that's probably to be expected. It especially occurs when many attacks (or rather attack countdowns) happen at the same time. It's still certainly playable, though. I assume the upcoming performance tweaks will help at least a bit. And then the way monster nests attack will be totally reworked anyways...

4. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

I know we have at least one really big significant change coming for the next version, like we're changing it from 60 to 30 FPS which should save a ton of battery life, and also may do something with the slowdown.

Also you guys all know about the quality settings in the options, right? Make sure to set that to minimum.

Other than that I'll alert the programmer and hopefully a lot can be done for version 1.1 in this regard.

mgeiger9 likes this.
  5. mgeiger9

mgeiger9 New Member

I did look at the quality setting early on and didn't think to change it, but I'll try that in future games. (I'll also try to not let so many nests spawn.)

I'm very glad to hear about the FPS change that should help battery life, as I've definitely had my phone die in the middle of a couple of games after starting with a decent battery percentage.

6. Yojimbo252

Yojimbo252 New Member

Nice change re FPS and yes I'll try adjusting the settings as well.

7. sterben

sterben New Member

Good to hear this is being looked at. Up until now the game has played very smoothly, but I just finished a very long game (777!) and toward the end I with upwards of 9 nests it was getting really laggy on my iPhone5, even with all other apps closed down.

On another note, not sure if this is the right place to put these but I noticed a few other bugs which may already be addressed in the upcoming patch:
    -There seems to be a bug that occurs sometimes with the dialog boxes whereby when all your troops are killed, the popup message telling you that you need to get more troops will collide with the next attack popup and won't go away until you kill the app and restart.
    -If you switch out of the app when a monster attack is ready on your city (but you haven't hit OK yet), sometimes when you return it will "continue" the game with the city being destroyed. This has happened a number of times now, and so I have to be very cautious as to when I leave (and typically exit to the main menu first).

In any case, very fun game! This last one took me upwards of 3-4 hours I think. Looking forward to the new updates.

keithburgun likes this.