SHEEPSHIFTER Design

Discussion in 'Our Other Games' started by keithburgun, Jan 9, 2017.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

SHEEPSHIFTER

Moving around on a grid. Shear sheep for energy, which also makes other sheep move away.
    Basic action is "shear". Four buttons that turn you into different animals, each that give you a different basic action and movement pattern.

Activate human form = Shear and make adjacent sheep follow. Normal roguelike movement. - PULL
    Activate wolf form = Scare adjacent sheep. Move To a sheep - DELETE for MOVEMENT
    Activate ram = attract new sheep. Can bump - CREATE, BUMP
    Activate sheepgod =

RESOURCES
    Wool used for changing form. If you ever don't have enough wool to cast any ability, you automatically turn back to human.
    Form change costs dynamically

TERRAIN:
    Grass - anyone can walk over
    Wall - only bird form can walk over
    Bush - only human can walk over
    PEN - hard coded area you start in and no sheep start in.

GOAL:
    GET X SHEEP INTO THE PEN BY Y TURNS.

map is 40x40. Tiles 5x5 in the middle that is sheep herd area.

major_shiznick, richy and Plumlum like this.
  2. SwiftSpear

SwiftSpear Active Member

I can't help but feel this drive to avoid violence glorification has gotten a little silly here. Maybe that works for you in this case... I'm not completely sold though.

3. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Wasn't remotely on the radar. I didn't choose the theme for one thing, and also there IS actually violence in this (the wolf eats sheep). I guess I could have made the game into some like, "kill lots of sheep with a shotgun" thing, or something. But if anything it's more that I didn't make this go out if its way to glorify violence. Which, I guess in our current videogame atmosphere, could look like "getting silly with avoiding violence glorification". But yeah, that wasn't on my radar for this, but I'm happy that it's mostly not going to come across as horribly misanthropic like most videogames do.

Toad_Racer likes this.
  4. SwiftSpear

SwiftSpear Active Member

Maybe this sheep version does work well, It just kind of feels like projectiles may eventually be appropriate to experiment with either on the part of the sheep or the sheerer, in which case this theme becomes really stretched.

I don't mean to make this thread about violence glorification debate, I just though the theme here was pretty amusingly abstract for a prototype game. It felt up front like someone doing acrobatics to try to avoid depicting violence when a violent theme would just send the message more clearly simply because of how odd the proposed theme is.

5. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Hmm, then why make two posts where the only thing you say is how you're surprised it's not violent, and where you suggest making it more violent, and how its non-violence somehow makes it abstract and odd?! FWIW to me sheep herding seems no more abstract or odd than shooting dragons with lasers and magic spells!
    As a general design point, is there something specific about projectiles which makes you think introducing them might eventually be useful here? Obviously guns in games are really a useful mechanic because they let the relatively weak player avatar affect events all over a board/map/arena rather than just adjacent to them (same attraction as guns in real life I guess). But is there something about projectiles in particular you feel is unique so that nothing else could fulfil the same role? For example a shepherd can cause remote action using their sheepdog (or sheepdrone), crook, lasso, or any number of non-weapon things. Conversely NPCs can threaten the player avatar from afar without it necessarily being weapon-related. Wolves move pretty fast.

Seems like the go-to options for action at a distance in games are weapons, magic spells and ESP/the Force. For action games OK you need lots of bang for your single-button-click buck to keep enough exciting things happening on the screen, and that necessarily involves pretty explosive things. But in a strategy game? Are frog tongues and grappling hooks just too uncool? Or is it the killing? Is killing simply essential?