Ridiculous Modern Videogame screenshots

Discussion in 'Games (and Other Interactive Entertainment)' started by keithburgun, Jun 7, 2013.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Nachtfischer suggested we have a thread for ridiculous / bad stuff from modern videogames. I love the idea. I have a couple of screens ready to go.

JAGGED ALLIANCE: ONLINE

[​IMG]

Blake joked that I should highlight just like 2 of the guns and have it say "these are the guns that are actually competitively viable."

Puzzles And Dragons (iOS)

[​IMG]

So awesome. It's completely out of nowhere! It's not connected to my actions whatsoever!

vivafringe and Nachtfischer like this.
  2. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

I liked Jagged Alliance :(

3. keithburgun

If people can get more of these maybe I can compile them into an article.

4. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Given that the series is Jagged Alliance it's actually not only ridiculous but also sad at the same time. The same probably goes for "Puzzles and Dragons" (which btw, I guess isn't a puzzle at all). That one might embody the tragedy of the whole "match 3" genre.

I don't know how well that one's fitting here, because this game most likely should not be taken seriously in any way in the first place, but... I still think it's pretty ridiculous. This game is called "My Horse". It might be weird enough, that the... thing in the screenshot is painted like a zebra, but then there are on top of that XP stars popping out of the poor animal. Probably for "stroking" it, i.e. randomly moving your finger around on the touch pad.

[​IMG]

And then these two ("Final Fantasy: All The Bravest") are just blatantly offensive. You don't even know which one is worse... well, in the second one there is at least an end to it ("Remaining: 35", yay!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll watch out for more! :D

vivafringe and keithburgun like this.
  5. Nachtfischer

Fighting Fantasy: The Forest Of Doom (iOS)
    Guess this is nothing new to "gamebooks", but I've rarely seen such an honest encounter! :D
    In fact, every single fight-like situation in these books (well, I guess every situation actually) should be worded as follows:

[​IMG]

Stefan42 and keithburgun like this.
  6. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

Nachtfischer likes this.
  7. Nachtfischer

I just had fun and want to give you the opportunity, too! Really, the advertising placed on the picturs is often even more ridiculous than the screenshots itself.

Okay, who else hates hidden object "games"? But that's not the point of this thread.

This is multiple-level ridiculousness here! First the title: "Million Dollar Quest: Hidden Object Adventure HD". Pretty cool already!

Now, the first screenshot on the App Store tells you this:
    [​IMG]

You might go: "Huh, so there actually is gameplay or what?"
    Oh no, first you might go: "What's this up-front model guy doing there?!"

Well, then the second screenshot comes and shatters your dreams!
    [​IMG]

Wow, doesn't that mini-game seem unusual and innovative and stuff? It is so unusual, the cups don't even have latin letters on them! And the guy in front looks like he lives somewhere far, far away... he's like, exotic and stuff. :eek:
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if even the "find the ball" mini-game was completely scripted.

alastair and keithburgun like this.
  8. keithburgun

Hahah, in the video the guy is bragging about the fact that it's a QTE that you don't even have to press the button for???

9. Nachtfischer

Thought I'd share this. It's not a screenshot and not from a single game, but it's pretty funny nonetheless and EA can always use some bashing! :D

10. keithburgun

Oh yeah. Actually ANY video of ANYONE interacting with a kinect in anything other than a dancing / work-out game will certainly qualify for this thread.

11. blox

blox Administrator Staff Member

Nachtfischer likes this.
  12. Nachtfischer

keithburgun likes this.
  13. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

Ugh, it's Bioshock all over again but now with a zombie re-skin and Ellen Paige. I know somebody who's extatic about it so I'm probably gonna end up playing the ladder simulator, at least for a bit, just to give it a chance, but more importantly, load up on ammunition. Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be just as good as everyone is hyping it up to be.

14. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member Staff Member

Did someone mention THE KINECT?

15. keithburgun

Actually people talk about that kinect video a lot, but the thing is, it's outwardly ridiculous. Like it's sort of supposed to be ridiculous, so it's not nearly as offensive as, say, THIS:

Nachtfischer likes this.
  16. Leartes

Leartes Well-Known Member

My former room-mate made a pong/curve-ball type of game with the kinect. It was really fun and people only looked slightly funny playing it. :)

17. Nachtfischer

What do you think of when looking at this?

[​IMG]

Right: Sperm Battle Simulator!

keithburgun likes this.
  18. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

Yeah, anytime someone starts making fun of kinect and unloading the barrel of reasons why it's a bad idea, the following needs to be made clear: so long as the game is an actual physical activity kinect is great for that. Things like dancing, or 'playing' sports, where it actually makes sense to use the body as a controller. Ping-pong is definitely one of those cases.

Nacht, that's not fair. This is the same kind of logic that makes people say that a big gun is a metaphor for a big dick or something. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Or a bunch of tailed white things that resemble tadpoles just MAY be the best way to abstract what's going on and stuff.

19. Nachtfischer

Yeah, this was not meant to derail the game/game's design. I don't know, maybe it's great! The picture just struck me as kind of funny, when it popped up in my feed reader. ;)

20. Nachtfischer

Fantasy Grind (iOS)
    "Level up, find awesome gear, and encounter unique, scripted events and instances."
    "Virtually no level cap."
    "More than 10.000 different enemies to encounter."
    "More than 10.000 different items to find."
    "Ultra simple (mostly) one button grinding system. Anyone can play!"

I mean, the design seems freaking focused... on grinding, but focused!

[​IMG]

Fight epic battles with the Broom of the Burned Witch to... to gather 4 rocks? Glory awaits... :(

Kreylix likes this.