Problems with Empire release 1.1

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by Senator, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Senator

Senator Moderator

1. The Strife card says that Influence can be used to get rid of strife. But Influence has gone away (now Exploration again) and does not remove strife anymore.
    2. Android: On my Galaxy Nexus, the saved game and app data are lost every time the app starts up. This is worse than the original release/update, which did this only intermittently. Could it be that my refusal to join Google+ is related to this problem? The app is basically unusable for me, since I don't have time to play a whole game all at one go :(

2. Senator

Senator Moderator

3. Thanks for adding the new zooming feature in the combat interface! Unfortunately, there are two problems with it:
    • Even with the view fully zoomed out (i.e., being in non-zooming mode), selecting a unit to move it still results in the viewport panning. This means that it is still possible to have the cells move on you as you are trying to move units.
    • (This one is pretty minor, but relates to the first one): The zoomed-out mode zooms out quite a bit further than it needs to, well past the zoom of the standard mode.
    Follow-up to Number 2: I uninstalled and then reinstalled the app and the data loss seems to have been solved (tested 3 times). So that may be a solution if you get any more reports.

Nachtfischer likes this.
  3. Senator

Senator Moderator

4. The Wizard's descriptive text doesn't mention this important asymmetrical feature: he doesn't have Grit cards.

EDIT, a sad follow-up to number 2: I tried to continue the game I had in progress and found that the data was lost again (both save game and all preferences). So it was merely intermittent, and reinstalling the game had no real effect.

4. SyKot

SyKot New Member

I also found a somewhat huge bug on an iPad 3. So I was happily playing the new version but then made a pause, quit the app by pressing the home button and did other things. (I think it might have been terminated by the iOS multitasking after, not sure).
    When I launched the game again, I was where I left it but the map was changed! First I had that weird fog bug where fog seems to appear on places already explored with a graphic glitch where the edge has no smoothness. I explored that fog and the terrain was changed, there was Water there were before it was land! The only thing that stood were the nests I previously destroyed (and they were like an island now).
    I'll post screens later.

5. Senator

Senator Moderator

@SyKot, that display bug where some of the fog has unsmoothed edge also occurs on iPod Touch 4G and on iPad 2. I think I reported it a week or two ago, with screenshot. (I have never seen this on Android, just on iOS.)

The stuff about terrain changing I've never seen (or at least never noticed)!

6. Fantom

Fantom New Member

The game is better than before, no doubt!
    But now sometimes it crashes... And never did before... (IPad 4)
    I don't understand why I accomplished some "achievements" without having the corresponding medal and score (but still the record of it with the date of achievement ??)
    The new super enemy is cool but it could be better with a new design... You only supersized the regular one...

7. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Actually it's a good thing that we only supersized the regular one, because then you implicitly know that it functions like a soldier, you don't have to wonder about what it does and we don't have to teach you. But it could maybe use some visual effects or something.

8. Fantom

Fantom New Member

I understand your point. As the units' design is so cool I just wish to have a new one!

The game balance with the three emperors is very nice and offers tons of new strategies. Good job!

Sometimes, cards arrival is very frustrating as you've not any possibility to avoid loosing... I wondered if it is not a good idea to let player "lock" cards that he can't play immediately (due to lack of command point ) so has to keep them for future use.

Also I didn't get the trick to evaluate how much victory points you will be awarded after a fight (seems to be relative to number of enemies?). How can you evaluate how many enemies you will face before engaging a fight?

9. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Yeah. I actually do want to do something like this. In Puzzle Strike, these are called "pigs" (like a piggy bank, like, saving).

I believe VP in combat is equal to the number of enemies. Pretty simple.

I forget the exact numbers but you can see the tier of the monster city before you fight. Tier 0 = 3-4 monsters, T1 = 5-6, T2 = 7-8 and T3 = 9, I believe.

Nachtfischer likes this.
  10. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

This certainly happens more often in 1.1. Especially in the beginning when you weren't able to do much in terms of deck-building yet, you may get unlucky and lose a unit here and there and gain even more strife immediately. I'd love to see a piggy bank, too!

11. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

If the game is functioning correctly, it should always eventually result in a fight you can't win.

12. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

Doesn't the tactics card effectively work as a pig?

13. Fantom

Fantom New Member

I agree and we can say it is part of the gameplay... But it may be so frustrating sometimes...
    Sometimes, the situation seems to be awful with no hope... But, you make it by using the appropriate combo of tactics and cards... When that occur, you feel playing a very interesting game and I really appreciate this... It reminds me the puzzle min-games in the excellent "Might & Magic Clash of Heroes" where puzzle situation are proposed to the player. You know by construction that a solution exist to win and think very hard to find it... It may be a kind of spin-off like "Empire: the puzzle game"... Also an Machine learning system may be used so as to create tricky puzzles. The problem would be the use of cards and in such puzzle games you need to see "future cards" as I said it would be another game or a game in the game...
    Did you never experienced that in Empire? A fight that seems to be lost before it begins... And you make it... So cool...

keithburgun likes this.
  14. Fantom

Fantom New Member

You're right, it does but you have to get lucky to get this card when you need it... And at least you will loose your powerful cards after the next turn if you were not in conditions to use it the turn after playing "tactics"...

15. Fantom

Fantom New Member

... And sometimes a kind of automatic centering of the screen makes very difficult to go and explore far away from the last event that occurred on the map (iPad 4). With time, you manage to "go" where you want but it is a little bit painful...

16. Fantom

Fantom New Member

The zoom function is not very useful on iPad and I would prefer that the default configuration at the beginning of a fight would be "zoom out"... Or, at least, that the game remember my last choice avoiding me to always "zoom-out".

17. Senator

Senator Moderator

I agree, this is important!

18. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Number 1 on the Wizard leaderboards on iOS is a hack. I recently read something about the devs being able to actively do something about that now? Like managing the top 100 on GameCenter manually or something.

19. Fantom

Fantom New Member

Do you mean that it has been done intentionally by a stupid guy (1.)? Or is it a bug (2.)?
    1. It seems to be a Game Center issue somewhere?
    2. Is it possible to analyze a score (with metadata sent with the score to the server) to determine if it is a hack or a regular score?

More generally, I don't understand anything on the Game Center realization system... I got 109 VP in my last game but I don't get the "75 VP" reward?? And what is the meaning if the medals (no, bronze, silver, gold...)?

20. Fantom

Fantom New Member

Why do you receive a "strife" when you have all your units at the end of the fight? (I know, I made one "resurrection")... but it sounds strange to read "All your units survived!" And on the same victory screen "strife cards gained: 1"... I would prefer that the "strife" calculation occurs at the end of the fight, not during it...