polish suggestions

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by alastair, Oct 9, 2013.

1. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

I've only played through the tutorial so far, but here's some initial impressions of it:

- The buttons are in dire need of more transitions or effects for when you click on them (especially the hud scrolls) — make it look and feel like my touches are doing something specifically in that spot! Having the sound effect is a good first start.

- Optional haptic feedback setting for pressing buttons would feel awesome, so buttons feel closer to a real button press (many apps and emulators do this and it feels a lot better to touch things).

- Only noticed once with the cavalry, but units should face a diagonal direction when moving in that direction? they're 3D models so it should be fine to rotate them when they move?

- Slightly more variation on the cards for their type, although it could have been ok can't remember if it was just colour (perhaps a textural/pattern differentiation too). Eric M Lang gave some good advice [>] about colours and things, to assume everyone is color blind (~20% of people are in someway), make sure there's always 3 ways to distinguish cards/boards/tokens/miniatures. Color, shape, pattern, layout, etc.

All the little details will enhance the overall enjoyment i reckon.

I've very impressed so far though, can't wait to play more, it feels like it might be a really solid game. I love that the tutorial had voice acting, severely underused in videogames! Made it so much more enjoyable and bearable to go through, most tutorials usually feel lifeless and dull.

keithburgun likes this.
  2. Senator

Senator Moderator

Specifically for the Android version (phone, not tablet), two annoying UI things:

- I don't have a Google+ account and I don't want one. But every time I open the app, it offers one to me, because the game is trying to log me in to Google Play Games. I have to manually cancel out of the Google+ offer every time I enter the app. Instead, the game should ask me once if I want to log into Google Play Games. If I say no, don't ask me again. Really, this is just simple politeness--an app shouldn't log me into any service if it hasn't asked me first.
    - On Android, Empire requires me to confirm the name of my new cities in an ugly little text box--and then I have to click a separate confirmation to finally create the city. Only one click is needed to create a city on iOS, and that's the way it should be on Android too. I understand that some people might want to name their cities, but as a feature it isn't worth even the slightest interface friction for other users. I mean, in this game, it really gives the wrong idea--"name this city, sire, it will surely be around forever! (Sucker--you'll have to move it in 50 turns or less.)"

3. Kdansky

Kdansky Well-Known Member

Yes, this bugged me too. I would rather not name my cities than deal with the unbelievably ugly text box that comes up. Especially when you got a non-standard keyboard installed (say, for example, for Japanese input) it gets out of hand. I mean, the pregen-names are great. I got a city named "Burgun"!

4. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

I agree with removing naming cities, but have been unable to convince the team that it's the way to go. Or maybe it just isn't worth the effort it would take, not sure.

5. Kdansky

Kdansky Well-Known Member

Pure speculation, but I suspect it was a lot of work to make it happen, and programmers are reluctant to remove a perceived feature they worked hard on. You might be able to convince them to add an option in the settings. That way, nobody has to delete their precious code, and we're all happy.

It would be neat if someone made an intermediate strategy guide.

Nachtfischer likes this.
  6. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

It should at least be an option to disable renaming. I can't imagine it's that hard to just skip that one screen.

7. alastair

Another problem I'm having is that when looking through my deck, I can't tell where it starts and where it ends! It's because you have it cycle around, but that just makes me needlessly confused! I feel like I must be overlooking something, well I guess there's those little color symbols indicating how many I have of each color, but as I suggested before you can't rely on color alone you need at least 2 more ways to distinguish them nicely! I still feel like there must be a better way to show the deck of cards, without having to cycle around.

8. alastair

- There could be more icons/smybols! Using the card symbol for everything is just making it confusing, Command points share icon with the 0/6 0/6 resources (I guess I'll figure out what those are if I pay them more attention over time) I can't distinguish them easily enough. It would also help if you had those command symbols on the cards them self. You have used icons well in some places, like the food has a wheat icon etc. just more in other places would help I think!

- Perhaps the numbers before the / could be bigger and the ones after it smaller? just because you don't really always need to know the maximum after a while — yet it always has prominence in your vision and can make it harder to read the value you want to look at.
    Example, which 35 value (the one which you want to focus on 98% of the time) is easier to read:
    a, 35/200
    b, 35/200

keithburgun and Kdansky like this.
  9. Senator

Senator Moderator

This seems like a good opportunity to repeat a suggestion I made during the beta:

- The symbols for the card types beneath the deck should be interactive. Tap one and it takes you directly to that section. I.e., tap on spell cards and the deck riffles over to the first spell card.
    - To complement this and to make the interface more clear overall, there should be a title above or below the deck that tells what section you are in.

Yojimbo252 likes this.
  10. alastair

Nice, I love those ideas, espeically of clicking on the card type and it filtering your deck to just those.

11. keithburgun

I agree with like everything here. It's all a matter of priority - WHEN - rather than if with almost all of this.

12. alastair

Awesome, I haven't been following this game much but it's great you guys intend to keep making it better. It's definetly one of the top mobile games.

13. keithburgun

If it were completely up to me we'd continue to update it forever. How long the game will actually get updates is contingent on Crazy Monkey Studios feeling like the game is profitable. I know so far, we just haven't had enough sort of main stream exposure. Hopefully that will change in the coming week! But anyway I know we have at least two updates scheduled now. And this first update is MASSIVE.