Official EMPIRE Version 1.2 Patch Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by keithburgun, Dec 12, 2013.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Hey hey! Very interested in what people think of some of the 1.2 changes. This is just the appetizer for the much bigger 1.3 patch. What do you think?

Official post: http://empire-game.net/?p=208

Changes List

Unit Changes
    - Warriors have 4 HP.
    - Cavalry have 6 HP.
    - Archers have 3 HP.
    - Your units no longer heal between battles.
    - There is no longer a cap on unit deaths and strife cards in a battle.

Emperors Changes
    - Reduced the starting Strife for all characters by 2.
    - All emperors now start with 1 warrior, 1 cavalry and 1 archer.
    - The War Chief:
    +1 Action Card to choose from after a battle.
    Warriors have +2 Health.
    - The Senator:
    Keeps destroy 3 Strife Cards.
    Units regain +1 Health after every battle.
    - The Wizard:
    Killing a unit gives him a redraw.
    Unique card: Meteor.

Card Changes
    - Archer Take Cover now only allows you to move your archer behind a warrior or cavalry.
    - Archers Shift has become Shift and allows you to move all units of a picked type up or down 1 tile. You get redraws depending on the amount of units of that type you have.
    - Savage blows is no longer unique but gives +1 damage instead of double damage.
    - Bounty card is no longer unique, but gives 25 materials instead of 30.
    - Resurrected units now have 2 HP instead of 1.

Monster Changes
    - The base minimum number of monsters in a battle is 4 instead of 3.
    - The minimum number of monsters you will meet in a battle now also scales with the turns. This rule only affects situations where you kill monsters but don’t destroy the monster nest.
    - Super monsters now have +1 HP.

Polishing
    - When having to select a new card, you can see how many cards of that type you already have.
    - Description of Feast and Academy have some improvements.

2. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Okay, short report after like 20 minutes of 1.2 on PC: The early game obviously has much less potential for frustration now. You don't randomly have to lose units in the first fights anymore since they have much more HP. It's more a case of saving their HP now than the previously ultra-hard punishment of losing a unit and gaining strife in the first battle(s). Plus, the reduced starting strife also helps!

I found a newly spawned nest with two monsters, though. I don't think that should exist.

Attached Files:

3. keithburgun

Yep that's a bug. Minimum should be 4.

4. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

The game seems rather easy right now. At least with the Senator my first 1.2 playthrough doesn't seem to ever end (the healing ability between battles might be really powerful, I guess). Well, the addition of the dynamic difficulty meta game will surely help.

5. keithburgun

Ultimately version 1.2 is a transition version to the much bigger end point of 1.3. Also monsters should be getting tougher faster (although given that someone already found a 2-monster den, maybe something went wrong...).

6. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

I just showed this game to a friend. Got to around 50 points with Shirin, first game ever. Definitely feels too easy, and I think it's because of the health changes. Loosing units was a huge drain on both materials and your deck, and now that it's not there it's a lot easier to keep going what with the strife being more rare.

Also some other concerns from a newbie:
    -my friend had a problem recognizing the buttons as buttons, and saw them more as part of the scrolls
    -no clear grid of the overmap tiles
    -no clear edge for the fog of war (important for exploration), had to click around a few times to get the "explore" button to pop up
    -said that when selecting a card to preview, right-clicking should act as the "back" button for convenience

7. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

So, uhh, what's going on with empire right now?

8. keithburgun

At this very moment, nothing, although we have a non-game-design/balance-related surprise coming in the next few days. There is time scheduled in January for a much bigger patch. I recognize that this version is too easy... I'll explain what happened a little later.

9. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member Staff Member

Your blog post asking to report Auro bugs redirects here.

keithburgun likes this.
  10. keithburgun

TY Viva! Fixed.