New EMPIRE Blog

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by keithburgun, Jun 11, 2013.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Dasick and Nachtfischer like this.
  2. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

Made a comment. Worried that exploration is going to be not a decision because it's like 100% or close to guessing.

3. keithburgun

Thanks for the comments guys. Replied!

4. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Since it won't let me comment on the blog anymore (it tells me I don't have an account, which is weird because I commented on the last post; also in case you might wonder: Yes, I'm perfectly able to log into my own blog's account, but it seems there's a weird difference in WordPress account systems, probably by country?), I'll just leave that here, I guess:

Love the idea of a global army pool. It's so much more convenient while not taking away anything important from the 4X concept at all. Of the 4X games you mentioned, the more interesting ones in terms of battle systems are definitely those, that in some way seperate the battle from the rest. Civ's battles for example are absolutely not interesting (might be a bit better in 5, I haven't played that one). Heroes or MoM are a bit better (there's actually some tactics going on), but they still have the problem of hugely increasing tediousness over time. So, tactical battles without all the micro annoyances definitely seems like the right way to me.

Concerning the challenges:
    The problem of multiple battles per turn doesn't seem to be a real problem. After all, it's a kind of decision-making skill to avoid getting into overwhelming situations (e.g. when you know you're getting attacked, maybe better don't run off to slay monsters anywhere else at the same time; or maybe do that, if you think you can handle it, you might achieve a really great triumph and advantage for the future). One thing though: You should probably make sure to make it very clear to the player how many fights are going to take place. I mean, it probably WILL be clear just from following the game closely, but there should probably be some extra overview when multiple battles are to be fought? So the player knows exactly and instantly how many are left to deal with at any given moment.

Concerning mutually attacking cities: I agree that the "meeting" seems like a bad idea. It would probably be almost always best to just "attack again" after the "meeting fight". Because, you know you just crushed the enemy army, so it should be relatively easy to take the city. So why not do it? (There might be some other stuff occuring that could prevent you from immediately attacking the same city again, but there actually should be the tension of commitment when launching an attack, I guess. So the "meeting fight" could become something like a random "second chance" to plan your move?) So this meeting thing just seems like an annoying delay.
    I'm not sure I completely understand the "whoever gets there first" thing. Does it mean: When city A attacks city B, city B won't be able to launch an attack back at city A until the battle has been fought (i.e. the "imaginary" second battle is cancelled, which is essentially the same)? Or does it mean, in case city B defends successfully and had launched an attack shortly after A before, two battles will take place (i.e. B attacking A shortly after the first fight)? The second one is probably more interesting as it would, given confidence in your army's strength, enable you to plan on quickly beating the enemy twice (first the army while defending your own city and then the enemy city right after that).

keithburgun likes this.
  5. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member Staff Member

Yeah, the global army pool seems like an A+ idea, especially for an iOS game. I totally agree that managing the stack o' doom in old Civs was crappy, and that the somewhat more interesting hex-based one-unit-per-tile approach largely failed as well (although arguably that was because of the AI.

Looking forward to breaking playing the beta!

Dasick likes this.
  6. keithburgun

Nacht, try it now - installed Disqus. Also if you would, put your comment there if it does work. Thanks!

7. Nachtfischer

I'm not sure it works as intended. First thing, the "Leave a reply" at the top of the article doesn't lead anywhere (it should take me to the commens section on the bottom, I guess). Second, it says "Sign in with Facebook, Twitter, Google", but those do not do anything for me, too. So the only thing I could do is register a new Disqus account. I mean, I'm not totally opposed to that, if that's the intended way of commenting. But it seems like I should be able to use some existing account to log in (i.e. Google).

8. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

Every time I see the "A totally realistic knife fight" image it cracks me up for some reason.

Looking forward to the beta, and seeing viva completely wrecking your designs :D

keithburgun likes this.
  9. keithburgun

Can anyone else let me know if the comment thing is working? The fact that it didn't work for Nacht when it was two different systems makes me think it might be him?

10. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

Considering that I've left a reply, yeah it works fine for me.

11. Nachtfischer

Which account were you able to use, Dasick? Because if I click "Google" (or anything else) it takes me straight to the Disqus registration page. The only thing different from that is, if I click the big "EMPIRE" button, it takes me to WordPress, which is apparently another WordPress than the one I'm registered on...

12. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

Disqus account.

Keith, why are you using a comments system that requires anyone to have an account in the first place?

13. Nachtfischer

Alright. My guess is, that this - after registering - would work perfectly fine for me, too. The problems I had were just with any other type of account.

Edit: QED. :p

14. keithburgun

As far as I knew, Disqus made it easiest because you could use FB, twitter, google, etc - but also doesnt it have an option for like, guest? If not let me check that out.

15. keithburgun

OK, guests can comment now.

16. keithburgun

Dasick and Senator like this.
  17. keithburgun

New post talking about the beta and some of the challenges we're hitting. Talks about some solutions, I'd love you testers to weigh in.

http://empire-game.net/?p=66