1. Push the Lane Kickstarter is LIVE!
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing EMPIRE!

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by keithburgun, Mar 18, 2013.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Hi everybody! Here's the formal announcement and explanation of what this crazy new 4X strategy game I've been designing is. Let us know what you think!

http://keithburgun.net/introducing-empire/

(Note - this forum will later be the central meeting place for this game's community. Just getting stuff set up now.)

2. Kuranes

Kuranes Member

Thumbs up from over here. Conceptually it sounds like something I'd like to play. And hearing our humble forum will become the fan one for the game, along with possible beta access (which I were bound to ask for anyhow) is great!

3. Crazy Monkey Marty

Crazy Monkey Marty New Member

Oh hi there, guys.

Martijn here, signing in for the first time. And I have a small update ready to show you. We here are going to try to bring you some artwork or news on EMPIRE every few days.

For now I have a screenshots from today's early (very early) build.

[​IMG]

What we have here is a starting city with 3 upgrades, owned by player RED. Around it, the fields, forests and mountain are being worked by the city. In about 20 turns or so, however, this drain on the land will create the scarring desolation... which will lead to monsters spawning. Uh oh...

We're working on improving the looks of the world map, and then combat. The UI is placeholder Unity stuff, as you can see. Next week: Conceptart for units, monsters and leaders!

Thanks everyone for your interest in Empire. It's going to be a fun few months!

Marty

Dasick, EnDevero, Kuranes and 2 others like this.
  4. Kuranes

Kuranes Member

In that case let me welcome you on behalf of our humble forum. Glad to see we'll be talking to more of the team than just Keith. :)

5. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

So what is this scout/scholar stuff we keep seeing on the top of the screen? Is that some sort of a tutorial message, or a warning that desolate lands are cropping up? Also, how do you reveal the fog of war (since there are no on-map units, and it's looking pretty randomly in that pic)?

6. keithburgun

That's just placeholder text. Later it will be a feed of actual functional information about whatever you're highlighting or other events, such as "Monster expands" or whatever. Kinda like the Auro feed.

7. Crazy Monkey Marty

Hello again, Empire enthousiasts!

We're now a month later, and although things have been a little slower (mister programmer senior dude was on a roadtrip of the USA - that lucky gimboid :p), we've still made quite a lot of good progress on Empire.

So, I'm proud to show you this little snippet here: a first view of the combat screen! What you see here is the units, left and right. The player's units are always on the left. In this case, an attack is launched on an enemy (also 'humans', not monsters) city. The city is shown on the right edge. If your units can sneak by the enemy ones, you can attack the city directly. The enemy can do the same, however, and attack your army camp on the left. Lose your camp and your assault will be nipped in the proverbial bud.

This screenshot will probably create more questions than it answers, but hey that's what teasers are for!

Screen4.jpg

keithburgun likes this.
  8. Kuranes

Kuranes Member

Nice! I do like the inclusion of the setting on the left and right, gives the combat a feel of context, rather than just being an isolated occurance. What are the unit glows for? I figured the blue ones is to show its a ranged unit and the red is melee ones, but that is pure guesswork based on their models. Also, what are the red and blue notches in their bases? My guess would be it has something to do with how they're allowed to move and attack, but again guesswork. Looking good though!

keithburgun likes this.
  9. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

Looking really nice! I liked the look of Age Of Wonders2, and so far Empire looks to be pretty pretty itself :D

The archer is leaning back a bit too far. Whatever the red/blue notches are, the artwork (specifically the Auras) makes it hard to see them.

keithburgun likes this.
  10. Crazy Monkey Marty

Screen5.jpg

Update on world map. New fog of war, cities work fully, and have smoke. Also: PWETTY PWETTY CWOUDS!

11. keithburgun

I can confirm: the clouds are indeed pwetty

Dasick and vivafringe like this.
  12. Crazy Monkey Marty

Screen6.png

Yerp, an update today. For now, here are two of the monsters, as well as new combat graphics. No more odd brown markers, but clear colors indicating controlling faction.

Dasick likes this.
  13. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member Staff Member

Oooooh, I hope I have the option to play as the evil guys.

14. keithburgun

Sounds like a decent idea for an expansion maybe. Would probably have to be a slightly tweaked version of those evil guys though, because those evil guys are kind of baked into the system itself and it wouldn't make sense for the player to really control them - unless we came up with some EXTREMELY asymmetrical way for a player to do that (which might be neat). I'll think about it.

Just so you know what I mean - these guys show up whenever the land has been kind of sucked dry of resources in an area. So... if the player was controlling this force, he wouldn't have control over where his "cities" are founded, it would be totally based on the whims of other players. That still might be interesting, but it's definitely a design challenge to make work.

15. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

Been awhile since last update. How is the development/design coming?

16. keithburgun

It's going really well. I'm talking with a guy from Pocket Tactics, we're gonna do an interview on Friday about Empire and Auro, but yeah, there's another update in the works. Things are moving smoothly though.

17. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Yeha! Looking forward to this one. Pocket Tactics is one of the most useful sites for finding out about good (iOS) games. :)

18. keithburgun

Just finished the interview and it went great. Owen Faraday is the editor, and he seems like a really cool guy. The piece should be up tomorrow or the next day.

19. Crazy Monkey Marty

Wow, look! Someone just posted a screenshot with a lot of info about the different units!

Yeah, it was me.

Enjoy, folks.

Attached Files:

Dasick and Nachtfischer like this.
  20. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

It's really great to see the game come along. Can't wait to play it myself! :)

I can make sense of most of the shown stuff and icons in the screenshot (e.g. health, attack strength, unit cost). But what do these grids left of the unit's picture mean? Looking at Warrior and Cavalry, I assumend the dark red tiles to be the attack range (so Warriors can attack in cardinal directions and Cavalry every adjacent tile) and the light red to be the unit itself then. But then, this doesn't really apply to the Archer who has four light red tiles...