Holy Sh** Who thought up this masterpiece??

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by tactfulgamer, Oct 7, 2013.

1. tactfulgamer

tactfulgamer New Member

I am new to this company and it's games. Empire is my first initiation.
    I do not know who this Keith is, but pockettactics praises you as does TouchArcade for a game called 100 rogues.

Either case what caught my attention was the deck building mixed with civilization. I laughed at first thinking it would fail.

I am a HARDCORE TCG player. Might & Magic Duel of Champions, Magic Duel of the Planeswalkers, Assasins Creed Recollection, the upcoming Hearthstone blizzard TCG game, Ascension, and the recent ios Tanto Coure.

My other favorite hybrid style strategy game that reminds me of this masterpiece is:
    Might & Magic Clash of Heroes.

But back to Empire, just wow! I am wholly impressed. Questions:
    Will there be a actual deck building from scratch mechanic (as in already built prior to battle) down the road?
    (I would love to focus my military into a particular battle style) I understand this deck building as it stands now is more in tune with Ascension, Dominion, Tanto Coure

Will we see different enemy types? With different attack patterns? (Same for our military)

Will there be multiplayer once the game evolves and gets a better grasp on its identity?

Single player story mode?

What are the plans to expand this baby? (Is there a thread about this?)

How many cards total in the game? (Is there a thread that shows them all?)

vivafringe and keithburgun like this.
  2. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Actually the monsters do have the same three unit types (warrior, cavalry, archer) as you do. Or did you mean even more types?

3. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Hi there, I'm the guy who designed Empire. Nice to meet you, welcome to the boards! So glad that you're enjoying the game!

In general you can stay tuned to http://www.empire-game.net, our website, to hear about news and what we're working on and planning on. However I just put one post over on my site, http://www.keithburgun.net, which you should read for now which talks a bit about our most-immediate plans.

Probably not, but we will have asymmetrical "characters" that you can choose from who have different starting decks. We may also have some way of giving the player a bit more choice in obtaining cards, but if that comes along it won't be for awhile. One thing you should understand is that of course while you would love to focus your military into a particular style, we have to be really careful about limiting your ability to do that. It's a careful balance between too much and too little control.

Maybe, but no immediate plans for this. I do want a slightly larger, 4 or 5 HP soldier-type monster soon though, that starts appearing late game.

Also a possibility. We haven't talked about it much but we may make our "easy mode" have a lot of story components to it. This would be a few months from now at least, I think.

Possibly but it probably wouldn't be what you expect. The game is really tuned to being a single-player game, so making it multiplayer would really require a lot more re-designing than you'd probably think. However, with that said, we might do some kind of weird single-player multiplayer hybrid thing, or perhaps a combat-only multiplayer battle mode of some kind... it would take quite a bit of work though.

Beyond the blogs I linked above, more specific details are coming soon. Stay tuned!

I think in this build there are 20 cards. I'm going to make a wiki that has all of the information about EMPIRE pretty soon.

Yep. Capy knows what they're doing... they have real game designers. They also made Critter Crunch, which is also pretty great.

PS: Have you not played Puzzle Strike yet? It's the best deckbuilder ever! You can play it free at fantasystrike.com.

4. tactfulgamer

tactfulgamer New Member

Keith,
    It is an honor. What a mind sir, what a mind. Beautiful game. Thanks for all the info! I will gladly take a look at the information you've provided. I have never heard of puzzle strike. I will have to check it out. I miss out on many good games due to me being a console (Xbox 360) and pretty soon Xbox One gamer. My mobile platform is my iPhone and iPad.

I no longer own a PC/laptop. I have consolidized that area of my life long ago when I found out I was able to get everything done using my idevices. If this game puzzle strike I am not able to play in any of the mediums I mentioned - I guess I will be missing out. At least I can YouTube it and enjoy it that way.

Which brings me to another question - will you be preparing a couple of YouTube videos detailing the games mechanics and introducing new payers drawn to Empire via they're prior association to tcg or 4x so as to give them a clear understanding this game is not one or the other but rather a marriage of all these harmonies blended together.

I took it personal when I saw someone give your game a 1 star in the App Store rating and his let down due to this game not being Civization like he thought it would. I had to get in there and do a rating of my own just to offset the guys 1 star. How can you not tell the heart and soul that went into this game? Either case, I think some YouTube videos are needed along with a look at the videos before buying in your App Store description. Once they get a good picture of what Empires is - they will flock. Which will mean more money for you and a bright future for Empire.

PS: The battle portion in Empire also reminds me of Summoner Wars from plaid hat for some reason.

keithburgun likes this.
  5. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

If I didn't have to (and sometimes want to) programm and write so much, I'd probably get rid of my PC, too. Gaming-wise these days there's not too much to see there. Anyways, I'm still hoping for Puzzle Strike to come out on iOS. It has been mentioned by the designer that he would like to see it happen, but since there were already some severe problems with Yomi (his other big game), I'm a bit concerned if we'll ever see any Fantasy Strike games in another format than on the games' website itself.

I totally agree. It speaks to the quality of the game though, that this 1-star review did say exactly NOTHING about the actual system beyond "it's not Civ" (which isn't even a valid criticism to begin with). The positive reviews however actually include information on what they like.

Well, a bit, yeah. There are fantasy monsters and warriors fighting each other on a square grid. I'm so glad there aren't tons of dice here, though. By the way, somebody mentioned it reminded him of Plants vs. Zombies. I guess it can't hurt if even just a fraction of the players of that game come over and take a look at Empire, haha.

Did you play it on iOS? Many reviews in the store say it's buggy as hell.

6. keithburgun

I can't imagine living without a desktop computer of some kind!

Anyway yeah, I'll probably do some Youtube videos explaining the game, maybe in the next few days.

Nachtfischer likes this.
  7. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

And starting units?

I was pretty close to suggesting this at several points in beta, but eventually decided to suggest putting Warriors in this role instead.

YouTube doesn't do it justice until you've played enough to pick up some of the subtler points of probability manipulation. There's an almost identical board game version if you feel like paying board game prices for it.

8. keithburgun

Maybe... I mean that won't have as much of a lasting impact, you know. It's one of those things whose meaningfulness wears off after a couple dozen turns.