1. Push the Lane Kickstarter is LIVE!
    Dismiss Notice

Healthcare in the United States

Discussion in 'Politics, Etc.' started by keithburgun, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Kdansky

Kdansky Well-Known Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/opinion/and-jesus-said-unto-paul-of-ryan.html?_r=0

And Jesus Said Unto Paul Of Ryan.

That's just insane. I recently had a similar experience: About 5 hours in the emergency center. Less than $3000 (covered through insurance): We did take up a room for a couple hours, three doctors had a look, half a dozen pictures were taken (CT and XRay), a dentist was woken and spent an hour fixing broken teeth.

It's not that Switzerland is cheap here. Taking an XRay in Japan costs $25, and in Switzerland ist $150+. And still, $60k is rather ludicrous if you haven't spent a week at the hospital and had a couple surgeries.

My conclusion is fairly simple: The US has a pricing issue, and seeing as none of the other countries I know of have this, but they all have public healthcare, I see no link between public healthcare and pricing. In fact, the correlation points the other way: The US is the only country with pricing issues, and also the only country without public health care.

So when someone says private care is cheaper: Why would you say that? Europe is public health care, and cheaper than the US.

As far as I know, literally every single point of data that we have contradicts the Ryan/Republican narrative. It's basically the same as with "trickle-down" economy: A blatant lie for profit.

This sums it up:
    "We have to paint the cars red, so they get cheaper. Red is cheap and efficient."
    "But every car that is sold in every other shop is more expensive when it's red."
    "Doesn't matter, I know red is cheaper, there is a known correlation."
    "But really, the correlation is the other way!"

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    deluks917 likes this.
  2. Juli

Juli Well-Known Member

fwiu hospitals in the U.S. will actually just stick on bullshit charges to a bill, and part of what insurance does when handling claims is say to the hospital "okay that's bullshit, we know it's bullshit, you know it's bullshit, you're not getting paid for that."

That being said, this is just stuff I've heard from time to time talking to people, I've never read any articles or anything about it, so it's just hearsay.

3. Waterd

Waterd Well-Known Member

I agree if it's private or not, it's not important, what's important is how taxed, regulated and subsidized it is and the infrastructure and technology in the zone.

Now in many contexts some of those qualities define how private the property is, so i can see how confussion can be generated.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Kdansky likes this.
  4. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

As I mentioned upthread, parts of the United States get the worst of both worlds for hospital care. Rather than having a poorly run public monopoly, the government enforces rent-seeking private monopolies.

A government monopoly would lead to an improvement in pricing, and probably a lower quality of service. Actual competition would lead to a larger improvement in pricing and a high quality of service.

5. SwiftSpear

SwiftSpear Active Member

Medicine is a really difficult business to encourage competition in. When you chop off your arm with a chainsaw, you're not going to go shop around for the best hospital to go get it reattached at. The only metric that matters is how close a hospital is to people who need a hospital. They don't have to compete on any other metric, so they just price emergency services at whatever they want to. %1300 profit? who's going to refuse to buy?

Kdansky likes this.
  6. Erenan

Erenan Well-Known Member

That wouldn't apply to non-emergency healthcare though.

7. SwiftSpear

SwiftSpear Active Member

Yeah, but emergency care is huge business. Most of the hospital bill horror stories involve some emergency care.

8. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

On the flip side, since emergency rooms don't turn away people for nonpayment, a lot of the extra burden for their care falls on other patients in the same emergency room.

9. Batlad

Batlad Well-Known Member

Single payer public health insurance isn't the same as a public healthcare system. I know of no reason to think that quality of care would decline if the government, rather than individuals paid for their healthcare. In fact with the payment security offered under a single player system, medical practitioners would have a secure income and wouldn't need to involve repayment companies in chasing debt, assuming they could entice customers with good service. Better yet single payer could shift the incentive system which as Juli pointed out is often based on fake charges and price gouging. Which is at least partially due to the current private insurance system.

Thursday's Majority report episode had Christy Ford Chapin as a guest and they discussed the historical context for why the US system is the way it is, its bad incentives and alternatives, that even the staunchest libertarians here would probably approve of.

cpudreams likes this.
  10. Erenan

Erenan Well-Known Member

If govt pays for everyone's healthcare, how does it decide which care providers it's willing to pay for? I mean, if you're going to have the govt pay for your healthcare, can you just pick any provider you want regardless of the price? Surely there are limits, no?

11. Kdansky

Kdansky Well-Known Member

Considering that whether any health issue you have gets cured is never 100% under the control of the hospital, it's impossible to do proper free market competition anyway. An unhappy customer can't just say "next time I'll get my cancer meds somewhere else", because he's dead. That's why it doesn't work to begin with.

You can do it for cosmetic surgery, and it works just perfectly well there, but for health care, a private system is bound to utterly fail: The least inhumane hospital will be the one that makes less money than the one that employs a bouncer at the front gate and tells any patient who is bleeding to death that they can bugger off.

12. Erenan

Erenan Well-Known Member

I dunno. I think you can kinda go off reputation, word of mouth, and all that. Also, rating agencies evaluate hospitals and create reports and so on. That's something that's not only compatible with free markets, but a part of how they work best.

When we were having our babies, we selected our OB-GYNs based on reputation and private research. We also ditched our first OB-GYN after we were unhappy with her approach to babying.

13. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

One thing the federal government could do to improve health care, basically for free, is to allow medical residents to act as free agents rather than requiring them to go through the National Resident Matching Program. Also effective would be to have a floating pool of additional Medicaid funding for residencies in fields where the number of medical students exceeds the number of available residencies.

Basically, residencies have become a major bottleneck in our doctor-licensing system. Unstopper that and prices will fall.

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 12:22 AM
  14. ALavaVatChild

ALavaVatChild Well-Known Member

The NRMP isn't a government program so what exactly are you proposing?

15. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Repealing its official monopoly status.

16. ALavaVatChild

ALavaVatChild Well-Known Member

I'm still a little confused, are you talking about their exemption from the Sherman Act? The complaint brought against the NRMP was that it was artificially lowering resident salaries. So even if we accept that this exemption constitutes a state-sponsored monopoly, I've no idea why you think repealing it will serve to reduce costs.

US Gastroenterology fellowships actually transitioned from matching to no matching and back fairly recently and can serve as a case study. There's a paper here and informal discussion here that I think are worth reading.

Bucky likes this.
  17. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Good reading, thanks for linking it. It appears that my earlier analysis was overly simplified; some problems I ascribed to the NRMP are actually the result of ACGME policy.

My original proposal's logic was that a higher number of accredited physicians would lead to lower costs via competition. The limiting factor to accrediting new physicians in some fields is residencies. The NRMP controls the number of residencies (although the ACGME is arguably more responsible). Attrition among residents further reduces the number of available supervising physicians.

The NRMP's monopoly (and monopsony) status is directly relevant in two areas. First, artificially lowering resident salaries means dropping out of medicine for a job in another field is more attractive. Second, in cases where the match fails - either a resident doesn't get along with their employer or the match fails to assign them at all - there is no realistic second chance to find another internship outside the match.

Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM