Empire Version 3 Reactions!

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by keithburgun, Aug 16, 2013.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Also just making health more clear, getting rid of these damned health bars finally, will go a long way in making stuff feel more coherent and clear.

Nachtfischer likes this.
  2. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Once again, I think 4 HP/1 Damage Warriors solves this. Valor is now important for 1-shotting warriors AND for letting Warriors do real damage.

keithburgun likes this.
  3. Senator

Senator Moderator

Currently, it doesn't matter whether you launched an attack on a nest, or the nest launched an attack on you: if you win the fight, the nest is destroyed. However, the reverse is not true (if I remember correctly), so that if you lose a fight that you launched against a nest, then you merely lose the fight; your city is only destroyed if the monsters launched the attack. This would be better if it were symmetrical--that is, if it were changed so that you can only destroy a nest when you were the one to launch the attack.

Having played a few more games and gotten a lot better at the combat: I want to reiterate what I said about Resurrection on page 2 of this thread--Resurrection is a great thing to be able to do and has enough in-combat decisions that it's pretty interesting (will my guy be killed again? will he move things around in some useful way when he respawns?). But it needs to be less generous--Strife cards should be earned whenever a unit dies, not depending on whether you have net fewer guys at the end of the battle.

Also, I want to reiterate the UI enhancements to combat that both Nachtfischer and I have mentioned. Combat can be very hard to wrap your head around for a newcomer. (I still have a hard time predicting archers!)
    1. Tap on a unit to preview its movement and its attack zones for this round.
    2. At the same time, ghost-preview all units' movement, so that alongside #1, the player has a full preview of how things will play out. (That is, how it will play out assuming no cards are played.)
    3. Not previously mentioned: When Grit or Valor modifies a combat, have the card's contribution be visually marked in some way, e.g. the card glows, or the +1/-1 shoots out of it, or something. I think newcomers need a reminder that these cards are there and that they can be important (particularly grit, but also valor in the case of warriors).
    I think part of my difficulty with understanding Archers may be that they are buggy right now...? Sometimes they attack a unit in the same rank when it is one square away, and sometimes when it is adjacent. I'm not sure they're always attacking when they could on the diagonal either.

Bug: Estimated time to upgrade for cities are often off, sometimes way off.

Minor point: There are currently 5 types of cards, but they could easily be reduced to 4 by combining Valor and Grit into one type (Modifier). Arguably, Strife could also go into this category, making for just 3 types.

keithburgun likes this.
  4. keithburgun

Yeah. I would also add that Grit, Valor and Strife cards all need to be darkened-out in combat so that you don't even expect that you'd be able to use them.

5. Senator

Senator Moderator

OK, finally found the damn bar that tracks city upgrades. Definitely needs to be redone, a new color would probably do it. Grass-green bar on a background of grass-green grass does not visibility spell.

Re self-trashing of Spell cards: I think that every Spell card self-trash, and certainly the direct powerful ones. If needed, each card could be usable a given number of times before it trashes. For example, Meteor and Resurrection might allow for just 1 use each, while Paralyze might allow for 2 uses before self-trashing. Cards should have a different animation when they self-trash, to let the player know that they are gone.

I have an ongoing game (build #4) where I have about 80 VPs, a good deck, I'm handily winning every battle, the map is fully explored (except for border water), and I don't really have to worry about upgrades. Spells self-trashing would make deck maintenance via upgrades more urgent, as would having an upkeep cost to the army--in fact, the latter would make smarter moving of cities to exploit new resources more necessary.

Combat needs to be reliably more difficult as the game proceeds. It might even be necessary to increase enemy hitpoints/damage as the player wins more and more fights.

6. keithburgun

Just so everyone knows, Version 4 has none of my balance changes yet. I have a huge, growing list of stuff that will be done next week.

7. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

I'd like to say though, that the new version (which is called #5 by the way, some number was skipped before) shows quite a bit more polish than the first ones. Ending your turns feels way clearer (you don't ask yourself "Now, did it really end or what?" all the time). Units show health POINTS instead of bars, which is unbelievably more helpful. Scrolling is less clunky. The "nests cancelling attacks" bug seems gone. Yeah, it's some neat (albeit more technical) progress. :)

8. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

(#5 reactions)
    *Archers seem to be quite finicky in this version. I've lost several because they didn't shoot when I expected them to. Do they no longer attack one diagonal space away?
    *Feast needs to be rebalanced for the recent VP inflation.
    *Keep didn't give a trash when I bought it.
    *Openings are really tough on materials now - exploring far enough to place a city is expensive, placing the city is expensive, and tech no longer comes with a critical materials-free unit. And scanning for tentacles is also critical. On the other hand, the second city fixes most of the materials constraints.
    *Mountains are still strictly worse than fields.
    *Keep should give a trash if I select +materials as my upgrade, because otherwise I'd rather get a totally useless 4th settler.
    *Move Cavalry doesn't do what it says anymore. This got me into trouble the first time because I wasn't expecting a second move; otherwise I would have made a triangular move.