Empire v1.00 #2

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by vivafringe, Aug 15, 2013.

1. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member Staff Member

Haha what the heck, this game is so hard now. Surprise! 12 unit attacks out of nowhere now. I think most long-term strategies are shit in this version.

For each city you build,
    Cavalry tent, Farm, Settler, Academy, Feast until the thing is dead

Never make Cavalry, but always build Cavalry tents because free units while you tech are great! Kind of a shame, because getting uber cards is fun, but none of the uber cards are better than Move Any anyway.

I scored 20 points using that strategy. Will try to refine it tomorrow.

2. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

12 unit? Really? 9 is supposed to be the absolute max.

3. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Does this have to do with the monster lairs spawning inside the fog of war now?

4. vivafringe

Yeah. In general I think I dislike this new rule, because right now I'm *hoping* (oooooh burn) that monster dens will spawn in the area I've explored, at which point I can outpost it to death. But if I don't find it, I have to kill a maxed out army.

EDIT: sorry I think it's 9.

5. keithburgun

Right, ok. Yeah well we did that rule because of another different buggy problem which was also solved.

6. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

I won again. This time I ended up with a bunch of desolated squares in my 'territory' that I had to pick off as they spawned, which were annoying while trying to place longer-term cities, and had to deal with a few big attacks from 10+ squares away in the fog.

Regardless of how hard it is to get there, if defeat is supposed to be inevitable, I should never reach the point where the only enemies spawning are those I deliberately create.

Also, mountains appear to be strictly worse than plains in this version?

vivafringe likes this.
  7. keithburgun

Mountains give 3 materials, but that's probably not enough given the fact that they die quickly.

I agree with your monster concerns, Bucky. I think one issue might be that post-monster-kill "healing" is way too good currently.

8. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Plains also give 3 materials in build 2.

9. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Okay, keith, here's your homework: Prove that a game of Empire will end with 100% probability. If you can't, figure out what you can change to make it end.

10. vivafringe

It's really not an easy problem. Keith mentioned that healing was too strong, and, uh, maybe that's correct. However, it's SOOOOO satisfying to kill a full-strength camp and heal all 9 tiles that I would be super sad to see that go.

What's the current algorithm for deciding when a camp spawns? To me, it seems like this rate should be slowly accelerating, no matter what the player is doing. I think one hugely needed change is that if there's no useable desolated square on the map, CREATE ONE and put a camp there.

11. keithburgun

Okay, that's a bug.

Yeah, I think it is but this may need a bit more influence.

There are finite resources, yet the supply of monsters is infinite.

12. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

It's doing that right now. But I can game the system by making sure there is a desolated square somewhere. But I might not be able to keep that up if the pace of monster spawns increases too much... I might not be able to call a clear map a 'win' after all.

13. keithburgun

I'm a bit concerned that, even if we get stuff balanced, that we might need some kind of rhyme/reason to where monsters spawn. Like, there could be some rule that really takes advantage of the grid. Like if there are 5 desolation tiles within any 5x5 area, it spawns a monster thing there. That type of thing. Otherwise, if it's just random, I think we'll be in unfair randomness territory maybe.