Empire Sept 18 version

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by Senator, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Senator

Senator Moderator

A couple of quick notes on the tutorial:

- I think the tutorial is now much, much closer to what it should be.
    - Voice acting in games is in general not a plus for me, but I know that it is for a lot of people, so it's probably a good idea. The voice actor here is pretty good, but I'm not sure the screaming warrior art isn't a great fit for the voice. (Relatively minor point, wouldn't let it hold back release!)
    - There are a lot of grammar issues. Probably want to get those cleaned up before spending any more time on voice acting.
    - There are a few overlay issues in the tutorial. Play through the tutorial taking time to read each tutorial card slowly and you'll see them. Some are minor, like the text of selected cards in combat slightly overlapping the tutorial banners (on iPad 2). Others are major, like the pop-up for the battle victory overlaying the tutorial text, making both unreadable.
    - The tutorial card that covers both the previewing of a tile and exploration tackles these too quickly. Even though the text indicates that I should try selecting a few tiles to see how they preview, there is a big green highlighted tile that seems to imply that I should just select that. But that tile can't be previewed, because it's fog, and it's preselected, so there's a button that insists I press it. The upshot is that the preview functionality gets skipped over. Also, one of the bouncing arrows should appear to indicate where the preview part of the UI is.
    - When you select exploration in the tutorial, the eyeball preview doesn't appear, so that doesn't really train the player very well. Also, it would be good if the text for exploration explained the gameplay reasons why I'd want to explore.
    - The combat tutorial doesn't explain the UI. What are all these numbers and icons all over the place?
    - The ending of the tutorial is kind of boring. Something that reinforces the theme and goal of the game a bit more might be a nice addition (e.g., reminding the player that he won't win, and should play to maximize victory points).
    - I don't know if it's just the tutorial (might be the whole game), but there are basically no back buttons. Select a card in combat and you have to play it. Select a location for your new city and you have to found it there. No way to back out.

Nachtfischer and keithburgun like this.
  2. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Really great point, among many other good points.

Huh? You sure? I swear there are...

3. Senator

Senator Moderator

Played a bit of the regular game, and can confirm that it's only in the tutorial that there are missing back buttons, the rest of the game is fine.

4. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Ahh okay. That's intended, then.

5. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

I agree 100 % with Senator. Great points!

Minor: I was surprised to see the auto-purging of Strife. It wasn't explained in the tutorial, but I guess it's fine because the Keep description says it (I'm sorry, I didn't read it at first :p). So, if you want to get rid of other card types you now have to use the Purge CARD, right? As you use cards for everything anyways, I think that's a very neat and streamlined version of that mechanic.