EMPIRE Sept 09 version

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by keithburgun, Sep 9, 2013.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

I believe that we're starting on that as soon as the iOS one is out.

2. keithburgun

Warriors: Maybe an easy fix would be to give them 3 HP?

3. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

That would at least make archers a valid counter unit. I agree with the other testers that warriors are far too strong (while inexpensive at the same time) in the current build.

What's going on with the monster damage done to cities? Sometimes they deal damage, sometimes not? I just had a base rushdown race happening. I stood in front of a monster nest with ONE warrior and rushed it down way faster than 2 monster cavalry and 1 monster archer on the other side. I also didn't see any regularity in their damage dealt... EDIT: Oh, I guess maybe Grit subtracts from damage done to the city, too? Was that the case in versions before this one? Then again, one less damage shouldn't cause Warriors to deal 0 damage...

An interesting change is that Valor and Grit can only ever give you a +1 bonus, no matter how many you have in your hand. This (along with the Strife cards) makes your deck become less and less efficient because you get one of those after every battle. So, I guess additional purges should be used for those cards, too.

One concern I have in terms of fairness are the monster attacks out of nowhere. But maybe I need to be a little more offensive on the exploring side of things... will have to play more.

By the way, although there are obviously still problems, I'm having a lot of fun with the game. It just feels really great to crush monster nests, build up your deck etc. I think the audience looking for serious games on their iOS will love this game.

keithburgun likes this.
  4. keithburgun

Are you sure warriors dealt 0 damage?

Yeah, I think there are definite balance problems, and pacing problems. But with that said, fights are a ton of fun. The best is when you're horribly outnumbered but you have a pretty good deck going.

BTW: Good news. The game will be delayed a bit to work on the tutorial some more.

5. Nachtfischer

Okay, I played a couple more battles and payed really close attention to the damge dealt to cities.
    • My warriors did 2 damage without Valor, 3 with Valor. That's consistent with damage they deal to monsters. I didn't check what my cavalry/archers do, but I assume it's also consistent.
    • Monster warrior dealt 1 damage with Grit and 2 without (also consistent).
    • Monster archers and cavalry always dealt 1 damage to my city without Grit in my hand, 0 damage with Grit (even when the cavalry had moved that turn). That's at least for the archers not consistent and therefore seems like a changed rule (or bug) to me.
      Is the damage archers do to cities reduced? And does the charge bonus for cavalry not count when attacking cities? (I should probably check how much damage my archers/cavalry do...)
    By the way, the Grit/Valor bonus numbers (always 0 or 1) in the top left corner are somewhat strangely placed that far away from the rest of the UI information. They should probably go right above the deck count (lower left corner).

6. Senator

Senator Moderator

Couple of buglike things:

- After resurrection, units show as having full hit points (e.g., Warrior shows with 4 dots), but I think that they secretly have just 1 HP, as the card says they should.
    - Warriors look silly moonwalking when the reposition card is played. You should give them a backwards-walking animation (cavalry should have the same if they will now be able to charge backwards).
    - Sometimes you start out a battle with redraws available, or even with extra command points. That's a bug, surely?
    - I mentioned this for a previous version, but sometimes your army reaches a monster nest to do battle but there's no one there and the nest is automatically conquered. That's lame and almost certainly a bug. The last time it happened to me, the monster had launched an attack on me a few turns before, and I was returning the favor.

7. keithburgun

You sure? Redraws happen when you're on defense and you have a shaman's hut. Command would be a bug.

8. Senator

Senator Moderator

Yeah, the Redraw number was usually 4, so that's probably all that is. I do feel like I've started out with 3 command at least once, though, but I wouldn't be willing to swear to it. Guess folks should just keep an eye out for the possibility. (If it happened, it was on fighting the same nest for the second time.)

It might be a good idea to put combat bonuses on the Loading screen that appears before battle. E.g., it might say "Loading...Your city is being attacked. You will have +4 Redraw thanks to your Shaman's Hut, and +4 city hit points thanks to your Guard Towers." Alternatively, the information could be presented graphically, which would be faster to read.

Another thought: You could up the importance of tactically placing cities by giving similar attack bonuses for Training Grounds or other upgrades, that take effect only when that city is the one sending the attack.

keithburgun and Nachtfischer like this.
  9. Nachtfischer

• Improvisation doesn't seem to draw a card immediately, but the card text says it should.
    • It would be great to see how many buildings of a kind you already have when in the upgrade screen. I just got an upgrade and wasn't sure if I still had my other "Shaman's Hut city". And there was no way to check, because I was already in the upgrade screen.

10. Senator

Senator Moderator

A few bugs:
    - The overmap screen can start jittering around on its own and become difficult to focus on the point you want to look at. I think it starts when there is more than one visible monster's nest. It is especially bad on my iPad Touch, but the autonomous jittering happens on iPad as well.
    - In combat, enemies sometimes overlap each other incorrectly.
    - This isn't a bug per se, just a poorly implemented feature. When you tap on a unit to move it, the game auto-zooms in to the unit, I assume to make it easier for players on small-screened devices to select the proper tile. Unfortunately, I want to play quickly, and frequently the zoom happens while I'm already tapping on the destination tile--and so I end up moving to the wrong tile. Disallow the player from tapping to move until after the interface zooms in.

11. Senator

Senator Moderator

Bugs with unit movement:

1. Way too often, some of your units will not move/attack, apparently because the monster they would have targeted has already been killed by another one of your army. Example (capital letters are player's units, lowercase the monsters):​
    Code:
    ...Aab.
    ....Bc..
    ....d...
    B goes first, killing a, c, and d. A should now move forward and attack b, but does not. He just sits there, the player's turn ends, and b moves forward to finish him off. I assume this happens because A originally targeted a, and when a was killed, A was not given a new target.​

2. Even though they can no longer attack north and south, cavalry still "hold" when there is an enemy in those positions. So, two cavalry positioned like this will just sit there until you play a movement card:​
    Code:
    .A..
    .b..
    Also, I figured out at least one of the ways in which "empty nests" can happen. If you close the game immediately after destroying a nest, then come back to it and continue later, the monster nest will return to the screen. However, it won't have any monsters in it and you will defeat it as soon as your attack arrives.

keithburgun likes this.
  12. Nachtfischer

Is the first one really a bug? As I undestood it, ALL the units move and AFTER that ALL units attack. So in your example A's movement phase (i.e. THE movement phase) is already over when B attacks.