EMPIRE on PC!

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by keithburgun, Nov 7, 2013.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Nachtfischer and Dasick like this.
  2. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

Got it. played two games, one as markus (16 points) and one as xena (31 points). I have tons to say, but not right now (it's pretty late). Very enjoyable! I definitely see myself getting 'one-more-turning' this hard, with the added benefit of this thing ending before I die of exhaustion :)

Oh and the system requirements box is very cute :p

3. alastair

alastair Guest

Good to see it being available in more places. Does Gamersgate require you to download any bloatware like desura? Or is it just a storefront like humble etc.

4. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

just storefront

5. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Oh well, I'll buy it again for my "university laptop"! :p

By the way, the Google Play link doesn't work anymore on the official site.

6. keithburgun

Thanks for the heads up Nacht! Fixed.

7. Nachtfischer

Quick note: I'd love to see a "windowed mode" option (with different resolutions available to control the window size).

keithburgun likes this.
  8. keithburgun

9. Nachtfischer

While we're at technical nitpicks, is there a highscore list in the PC version? Since there's no GameCenter, GooglePlay or whatever.

And as an idea for not just the PC version: Let me manually deactivate the tutorial prompt. It keeps popping up on iOS in 1.1 even though I won the game several times (the problem being I've not played the tutorial since 1.0).
    Or alternatively (because I understand that you really want players to do the tutorial) deactivate it after a game has been completed (maybe with more than 30 points or something to exclude 0 point "I don't know what I'm doing" playthroughs). You can do it by manipulating the preferences file in the PC version, but that shouldn't be the only way to do it.

Also, I'd personally still advocate a "no animation mode". But I can see why that'd not be a priority or not even wanted at all.

At last, something that's also been discussed before: Make it an option to deactivate city renaming. Especially on a small screen it can be pretty annoying.

Anyways, for now concentrate on making the actual game system better. Maybe keep some of those suggestions in mind for the future, though.

keithburgun likes this.
  10. keithburgun

No Animation Mode is wanted desperately by me but there is some resistance from the team. I'm working on it. If it will be in, it'll be in for 1.2. Same with turning off city renaming. Cities shouldn't even have names IMO.

11. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

I don't have city naming on my PC. However, I do appreciate city names. While I don't remember then, the general word length/structure is enough to be able to tell them apart quickly. I would also love it if the three quick-select city banners in the top left corner had the names of their respective cities. Also, names for monster lairs?

12. keithburgun

Ooo. Names for monster lairs is interesting. With Monster Armies, that will actually make the idea of monster lairs way more legit. I may even do something like:

- the world is populated at the start with monster lairs.
    - Monster lairs no longer spawn
    - Monster lairs no longer cause desolation
    - Monster armies cause desolation as they walk
    - Game is balanced such that nobody could possibly destroy all of the monster lairs

13. Zirk

Zirk Member

There also seems to be a Mac version on the website.

I bought this earlier today and I've played about a dozen games so far. My highest score is 9, and I only know this because I've been writing down all of my scores in a notebook that I keep close to my computer. Kind of surprised that a game that is completely and totally about score has no record of how you scored. Actually, what I want is a bunch of score charts to track some sort of normalized average score so that I can see how I'm doing, but I'd be okay with just a scoreboard for now.

I have some more thoughts on the game but they're not in a complete enough state to discuss in this post. I need to play the game more to develop them.

In one of my games earlier today my military had been eliminated totally and I had some armies marching toward my cities. With no way to defend them, I chose to abandon and immediately reposition them. When these new cities were attacked, I abandoned them as well and repositioned them in new spots. I could perpetually abandon and reposition cities, each time hoping that they'd live long enough that I could build some defenses. This went on for hundreds of turns and over an hour of real time, at which point I was too bored to continue playing. The map was about 1/3 full of ruins at this point, so I probably could have proceeded for another two hours after that. My final score for this game was zero points, which is a stupid score to get in a game that you play for over an hour.

A mode that lets you provide an rng seed to let you regenerate an earlier game that you'd played so that you could see what you had done wrong would be cool, but I can see why you might object to this. I'd also like to see difficulty modes but I know how you feel about those.

EDIT: I also feel like that if you have no cards that you can play, and no redraws available, the tactical game should maybe just advance the turn for you; I don't see a reason to not automate it.

keithburgun likes this.
  14. keithburgun

Great points, Zirk!

15. Keith_C

Keith_C New Member

"Also, we updated the PC and Mac build on Gamers Gate so people can now select their resolution before they start the game"

I do not get any option on the PC version to select a resolution. Also, by select a resolution does that mean the game allows a windowed mode or does it only run full screen?

16. Nachtfischer

Yeah, the PC version is still "1.0" (or rather 1.1 in iOS terms) apparently.

If you want a "dirty fix" on how to play windowed as long as we're waiting:
    1. Right-click your Empire link on your desktop
    2. In the target field behind Empire.exe add the following: -screen-width X -screen-height Y
      (where X and Y are your desired resolution, e.g. -screen-width 1600 -screen-height 900)
    3. The game should start stretched to fullscreen
    4. Press Alt+Enter in the game to set windowed mode
    5. You may now delete the command line parameters from the target field, it will keep the settings (even if you re-install the game apparently), you have to press Alt+Enter every time, though.

keithburgun likes this.
  17. Keith_C

Keith_C New Member

Thank you Nachtfisher. Worked like a charm.

18. Zirk

Zirk Member

I've played another dozen or so games (highest score so far is now 10) over the last week and I think my biggest issue with the game is the use of space on the map in the empire view. Deciding where to place your cities just feels more aggregative than in other games because of the way space interacts/doesn't interact with the game's mechanics. As far as I can tell here's no limitation on where you can put your villages, and there don't seem to be any spacial relationships between your villages anyway beyond the limitation that they can't be too close to each other. Your army shows up at every fight regardless of distance, and where these fights happen "on the map" doesn't seem to affect the chessboard battles unless you've built that one upgrade. There are distance relationships between the mind worm's nests and the locations of your own cities in that the time it takes an army to march between cities is proportional to their separation (the number of turns seems to be max(1, max(delta_x-1, delta_y-1)) but this is based on some really limited testing) but given that I don't know 1) what makes the enemy attack, 2) where all the enemy's nests are, and 3) where the enemy is likely to spawn a nest, I am not sure that I can reliably use this information. Even if I can deal with this, being able to game the time between battles would be useful except any interactions here are dampened by the fact that the only thing you're likely to do between battles is train more units, and this is limited by your bank account and only connected to the passage of time through your income.

Exploration is of course linked to space, but it appears that the map is random in every direction, and contains no fractal elements, so exploring in one direction is as good as exploring in any other provided that we aren't attempting to form a set of 9/13 tiles using some tiles that we've already uncovered, which is aggregative and not particularly interesting in my view.

Edit: To get back to my original point, there are all sorts of interesting features of 2-space grids that aren't linked (or at least, aren't linked very strongly as far as I can tell) to the game mechanics, to the point where I start imagining how the game would play out on an arbitrarily connected graph, or on some form of 1-space line, and I find these versions of the game in some ways more honest.

Dasick, Silvercloak and keithburgun like this.
  19. Nachtfischer

For the record, version 1.2 has by now arrived on GamersGate. You can now officially change the resolution and switch to windowed mode.

keithburgun likes this.