EMPIRE BETA README!

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by keithburgun, Aug 13, 2013.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

This is a post about the first version, 1.0 of the EMPIRE BETA. I just wanted to let you guys know what we're looking for.

Firstly, we know that a lot of stuff is still not-implemented, or buggy. There's still a lot left to do. So I wouldn't really bother telling us about bugs at this point.

Right now, I'm mostly concerned about what you think of the game. I know it's imbalanced - there will probably be times where it's vastly too hard, vastly too easy, or some choices are obvious. Let us know! Is the basic combat system interesting? Is anything about it annoying? How is the game length? Scoring system? Etc! Give us all your thoughts on the game.

Later, we'll have a bug fixing phase where we'll need all of your bugs.

2. EnDevero

EnDevero Well-Known Member

When you pick a fight with a monster city and lose, the game makes you fight again. Is that a bug? I know you said no bugs, but this one really kills the game if it's a bug.

3. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

EnDevero, I didn't experience that problem in my games yet. Does this always happen to you?

I'll open a "first impressions" thread shortly with my detailed - SURPRISE - first impressions.

4. keithburgun

Huh... Endevero that's totally new if that happened. Will look into it.

5. EnDevero

Yeah, happens to me everytime. If I lose, I'm forced to battle again until I either win or run out of troops.

As for whether the combat system is interesting/annoying: it's pretty neat how things work, but there's a lot of counting (for predicting which units will strike first) which struck me as a little annoying at first, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

Edit: Also, Grit cards seem super hard to get by design. Wondering if that's on purpose. I'll post some more reactions when Nacht opens that first impressions thread.

6. Nachtfischer

I lost multiple battles but the game just continued normally after that. I wonder where the difference is (I guess there has to be one if you're able to reproduce the issue).

Concerning "counting": Yeah, it's a factor. But I think it'll get better when/if the combat UI gets a bit clearer and more information concerning the units are accessible in a snap.

Yeah, I basically never got Grit cards. Maybe it's to enforce an "offensive playstyle"? Or maybe they were just forgotten in the implementation. :D

7. EnDevero

No, the rules state that Grit cards are offered when you win an attack on your city (one initiated by the enemy). But once those guys start attacking you, they're super powerful and hard to beat. So, I'm assuming that Grit cards are either late game rewards for survival or an oversight.

Nachtfischer likes this.
  8. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member Staff Member

I know I'm not supposed to list bugfixes, but don't buy resurrection cards. They crash the game and don't work.

9. vivafringe

What are materials supposed to be used for late game? I have a million materials and can't find any way to use them.

10. Dasick

Dasick Well-Known Member

Is there an android build up yet?

11. EnDevero

Both your concerns were mentioned on the first impressions thread started by Nacht; you should check that out.

Edit: Ninja'd. This comment was directed toward Viva.

12. keithburgun

Grit/Valor will be given out randomly in battles in the next build, rather than "valor for offensive wins, grit for defensive" as is the case now.

Materials are used to build units. You get a lot of them early on but once the mountains are used up they become harder and harder to come by. Also, we may cap your materials at like 100/150/200 for having 1/2/3 cities or something like that.

13. vivafringe

Game is very fun!

14. Nachtfischer

Wow, that was fast. Version 1.0 #2 is now up!
    As I said, I'm curious to see how the monster spawns in unexplored areas will work out. I hope the luck of the "correctly guessed exploration direction" won't take over, but if one designer should be aware of that specific danger it's probably Keith.

Apart from that: Some awesome bugfixes (namely unit shake and resurrect) and neat tweaks.

Oh, and what does "new balancing" mean? Were the unit stats changed? I likely won't get to try the new build out myself until tomorrow...

15. keithburgun

New Balancing means a ton of stuff. Here's some of my balance changes for this version (many of them copied directly from your guys posts).

- Give valor / grit randomly from combat
    - You should be able to see your army when in "upgrading mode" (to be able to make your decision on what unit type to build).
    - Minimum number of monsters in a battle should be 3
    - Cities' food production does not drop to zero at full resource depletion (not sure this was fixed, if not it will be tomorrow)

and a few other things.

Nachtfischer likes this.
  16. vivafringe

When you build a Fort (the archer thing, I might have the name wrong), it mentions something about +2 defense when you're attacked. What does that mean?

17. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

It means you neglected a monster camp for too long, since it's attacking you while you still have archers left.

EnDevero likes this.
  18. keithburgun

It means your base has 2 more health than the other guy's base. At least that's what it should mean. I dunno why it's called defense, I'll look into that.