Dev Journal

Discussion in 'Alakaram' started by keithburgun, Feb 5, 2017.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Tonight's stream:
    - Got the Jump skill implemented and working, which involves a whole system (some code I was able to copy from Push the Lane)
    - Got the Monster class set up
    - Game spawns a RAT
    - Rat is bumpable!!

richy, Nachtfischer and BrickRoadDX like this.
  2. keithburgun

Tonight's stream:

BrickRoadDX likes this.
  3. keithburgun

You can now kill rats and score points. Because of how movement and stuff, this is not trivial actually. But we have a good system now for it. Also started some stuff with the HUD (which updates now as you can see) and also made it so that rats won't walk INTO the player's tile.

4. keithburgun

Tonight I got the influence system basically working. Getting kills creates influence on an area (right now, fixed at 2-radius, later, will be based on your combo metter). Influence spheres if they touch each other merge right now. Still have to make it so that it averages out the old/new influence, maybe plus some amount. It was a weird tricky system and I'm really happy I was able to make it work.

Also there are a lot of other updates that I made while not streaming, like rats spawn properly now and have cooldowns and AI and stuff like that.

5. keithburgun

Someone asked what the goal of the game is going to be on the Discord:

[
    8:51 PM] keithburgun: There will be 6 totems spread evenly around on the map, and you just have to influence them all at once to win, is the current experiment
    [8:52 PM] keithburgun: also we'd probably make it that there are no "kill spots" within 2-3 tiles of each totem, btw
    [8:53 PM] keithburgun: so that plus other reasons means you couldn't just "get 1 kill by each totem and quick win"
    [8:53 PM] keithburgun: Other reasons: the distance would be such that you'd be aggroing a shitload of monsters in that time. Your combo meter would drain to literally zero with no kills. And the sheer distance (with monsters spawning in your way etc) would mean that the first one you made would definitely expire by the time you made the last one
    [8:54 PM] keithburgun: So you have to build a structure of influence-zones and work with it
    [8:54 PM] keithburgun: and balance expansion and maintenance

6. keithburgun

Tonight's stream:
    - Combo system implemented (just uses numbers on the screen for now)
    - Skill buttons cleaned up and they work
    - Some debug hotkeys added (max health, + combo, etc)
    - Monsters now disappear when they are > 3 tiles away
    - Wrote a "distance" function that doesn't work quite properly, but it sorrrt of works and creates influence based on your current Combo level
    - Decreased rat cooldown to 2

And more to come. Blake is starting a stream at 10:30 PM EST!

7. Lemon

Lemon Well-Known Member

Are you implementing this yourself? I think that will pay off eventually, since you'll understand your own code much better and be able to make iterative changes more easily.

8. keithburgun

Yeah. You should come by and watch me implement it IN REAL TIME on the stream! Might stream more tonight if I can.

9. keithburgun

3-12
    - Dart skill implemented (just a kill move; chaff spell, but great for testing)
    - Power tiles implemented. They give you 3 cooldown
    - Walking in influence now gives you 1 cooldown
    - Player can now walk through Death Tiles - monsters won't
    - Fixed numerous bugs with Influence functionality
    - Made minimap larger and more clear.

10. keithburgun

Results of the 4-8 all-day-devstream:

- The monster spawning system designed and implemented. It's now kinda like a deckbuilding thing, I just realized. Will write more about this later.
    - Brutes implemented
    - Liches implemented
    - Jellies work properly now
    - Dash skill implemented (now there are 3 abilities)
    - Influence decays naturally around the edges
    - Runes implemented
    - Blake re-designed the visuals for the main character
    - Shitload of bugs fixed
    - Started on new minimap
    - Wrote a lyric about police cats

The game is REALLY close to being play-testable. Probably will offer it to Dinofarm Patreon patrons first.