Dev Journal

Discussion in 'Push the Lane! (A Keith Burgun Game)' started by keithburgun, Feb 2, 2017.

1. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Any thoughts of co-op play in PTL? The map seems to be of a size now that it might need a lot of clicking for a single avatar to get around.

2. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

I would generally be okay with the idea of it, but we'd need to find a way around these two issues:

1. Huge development costs of doing good multiplayer (might not be that big an issue, i dunno)
    2. Do players have to wait for other players to move before they can move? If so I feel like it would be really clunky (a big issue).

We'd have to maybe make it real time or something, which is a whole nother huge can of worms. More likely we could do this with Alakaram. Although in both cases I'm focusing first on single player.

3. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Yes I see co-op turn based would be problematic. It would need the ability to make default moves for a player if they took too long. E.g. after Alice enters her move, Bob would get 2 seconds to move or his avatar would do a default move. Or something, IDK. Focusing on single player has to be right to start with anyway.

I just hope there isn't too much clicking around the large map to get to places. It's not like a real-time game where like you said last year the walking between locations is a crucial period of thinking time. In TBS you can think as much as you like between moves anyway.

4. keithburgun

We could maybe do a Crypt of the Necrodancer style thing where every second, both players are allowed to make a move, but if they don't, their turn is skipped, and skipped turns don't give you passive gold, or something.

DEV UPDATE!

So much has been getting done.
    - All four bosses are COMPLETELY DONE with the exception of the King, who will summon Knights and who will have a hook into Quests of some kind.
    - - Demon Bear knocks minions to the side a few tiles. This is cool because he doesn't actually push the lane as much as other bosses, more bypasses it
    demonbear.png
    - - Spirit Archer is magic immune and deals magic damage at range (getting in close, she has to use her weak melee attack). Upon death she deals damage to a nearby tower (can be used to help with rushdown if you get her fast).
    spirit archer.png
    - - Dragon has the best stats overall and has a fire-breath attack (a lot like Tennor's E). Probably flames will spread all around later.
    dragon.png
    - - King right now just has a lot of armor and high attack damage but low health. More coming soon.
    king.png
    - The "info panel" now works for items and units, when you click on stuff it tells you information!
    - When you hover over a monster that would kill you, you get a red selection square
    - Win/loss screens are fancy and work

So much other stuff. Don't have much time to write it all down because gotta keep moving!

5. keithburgun

Some updates!

[
    3:44 AM] keithburgun: Spent an hour or so coming up with some map changes that should really help stuff out a lot
    [3:44 AM] keithburgun: one problem I noticed was the assumption that the shop and the healing should also be in the middle, just cuz that's how it is in League of Legends or whatever, that the "nexus" and the "healing" and the "shop" are all together
    [3:44 AM] keithburgun: but they don't have to be
    [3:44 AM] keithburgun: and separating them actually does a ton for us
    [3:45 AM] keithburgun: also with this change I've also made it that Potatoes give more healing, are easier to kill, and I think probably I need to turn health regen back on

Also, there are now smaller towers along the lane, 3-5 of them per lane for each team, which shoot. They'll shoot at the player if there's no minions around. They also spawn minions.

Attached Files:

6. keithburgun

7. keithburgun

Hoping to stream a lot tomorrow (the 8th), and hopefully even get a new version out. Stay tuned!