Dev Journal

Discussion in 'Push the Lane! (A Keith Burgun Game)' started by keithburgun, Feb 2, 2017.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

2-2-2016

- Fixed a bug where gems were crashing against each other TWICE (so a 5 and a 15 would leave a 5 instead of a 10)
    - Started the "structures" class
    - Created the shop (you can't buy yet)
    - Created the "base" and allowed the player to interact with it and open the shop
    - Created the right-hand "structures inventory" part of the UI, where structures will be used
    - Started a bunch of the interactions necessary for buying items

capthoivu likes this.
  2. keithburgun

2-8-2016

- The whole item shop system is basically implemented now
    - The shop randomly populates with 5 items plus one "Next" item that can't be bought
    - Items transfer to the player's inventory when you buy them and it takes your gold
    - Did a lot of game design tonight, figured out a lot of basic parameters for game length, average structures per game, etc

capthoivu and BrickRoadDX like this.
  3. keithburgun

2-9-2016

- You can now place structures on the map and they function, basically completely as intended. They do stuff and eventually expire.
    - Created the GemFactory structure, and it works, creating gems
    - Fixed a bug with the shop system
    - Implemented a second skill - Swap, which swaps places with a gem and pumps up its power. Really useful in conjuction with GemFactories.

BrickRoadDX likes this.
  4. BrickRoadDX

BrickRoadDX Well-Known Member

That magical moment when the thing starts to feel a bit like a game :).

keithburgun likes this.
  5. keithburgun

3-8-2016

- View Shop button now works
    - There's now feedback for clicking on shop items
    - You now get information on shop items when you click them
    - Fixed a bunch of bugs
    - Added a third Structure - Vacuum. Pulls all gems from above and below into itself.
    - Added a third ability - Cardioid Blast - most of the logic is in, but it crashes.

Actually there were some other fixes I made while I was at GDC, too that I didn't report.

Also: I made a new build. Will upload it later tonight. The game is kinda almost playable now!

Redless likes this.
  6. keithburgun

4-11-2016

- You can now move around by clicking with the mouse - makes the game way more playable
    - The Jump ability now splits a gem into two 1-gems, one above and one below, if you land on one.
    - The Vacuum now pulls gems DOWNWARD (only) until they hit a lane.
    - Two same-color gems can now combine with each other positively.
    - Added cheats for +1000 money and refilling you cooldowns.
    - bugfixes

Other thoughts: thinking about getting rid of the gem-decay every turn thing. It just feels noisy and strange and I don't know that it actually adds any value to anything, actually.

Also earlier today I think I came up with the musical aesthetic for the game.

If anyone wants to playtest let me know and I'll make a build.

7. keithburgun

Today I did a craaaaap ton of work on the Kickstarter and I started the Greenlight, both of which basically took *all* day. But also I made this little animation.

[​IMG]

8. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Hypnotic after 100 loops! :spell-gale: Voted.
    (Should Tennor look where she's jumping...?)

keithburgun likes this.
  9. keithburgun

Latest in-game art.

latest screenshot.png

10. keithburgun

Not making a version because it's not super playable but here's a video and some updates!
    - Huge map with 5 lanes, and scrolling.
    - Four new resources
    - Gems are literally your yellow gems you can now pick up off the field
    - Rubies are left from dead red gems (like old crystals)
    - Scrap increases flatly every turn
    - Onyx will be a late-game econ resource (like Stone in Agricola)

NEXT UP:
    - Five bars on screen to show you the pushedness of all lanes at all times.
    - A slowly scrolling top lane that has new structures (robots) that you can buy.
    - A new Robot Info panel that slides out from the right
    - When you pick up a Robot, it will be your "r" ability (R FOR ROBOT!)

11. keithburgun

Last couple days have been really productive. Trying to get a lot done before I have to submit the game to IndieCade, I think by Wednesday. Started implementing Virii, the bad guys.

virii.png

12. keithburgun

Been streaming like 7 hours a day every day for the last couple weeks if you missed it. I don't even have time to write about all the changes really. Here is a copy paste of some stuff I wrote in the Discord today that might be of interest to people following PTL.

[12:37 PM] keithburgun: I was saying on the stream last night that a lot of stuff is getting really fleshed out right now, but I've largely been in "implementation mode" over the last 3 weeks as opposed to like "grand design mode". I mean, some really big design changes have happened along the way of course. Last night really late btw I increased the width of the board by 2 tiles.
    [12:39 PM] keithburgun: But I do think that right now, if I were to "complete the game from here with no major design changes", it would work, but not be exactly what I would be shooting for. Right now, it's still too much of a patchwork system. You have the gems, and they kinda do what they do. You have the robots and they do what they do. You have the viruses and they do what they do. It's like several systems overlaid over the basic lane pushing thing. That's not wrong, but, they're too loosely connected and weakly supporting the core concept, maybe
    [12:39 PM] keithburgun: Like right now it's a process of "management", you're "managing" all of these things at once somewhat. Which actually, funny enough, is kinda more like League of Legends. But I'm shooting for better than that
    [12:40 PM] keithburgun: My suspicion is that the resource system is where it gets a little bit dangerously disconnected from the "board" and what's going on.
    [12:41 PM] keithburgun: But also, I have a wider feeling that there needs to be some other "systemic" rule that is constantly informing play. The core mechanism is too thin and weakly supported right now
    [12:42 PM] keithburgun: An example of a systemic rule here would be: "when a lane gets scored on, adjacent lanes get pushed forward" or something
    [12:42 PM] keithburgun: That's a bad rule, but it's an example of something that kind of ties things together more
    [12:43 PM] keithburgun: The recent addition of "robots can't function unless they're next to yellow tiles" is also really great, and maybe if I just support that more, it will work out
    [12:44 PM] keithburgun: Oh you know, maybe viruses work the opposite way, that they can only move adjacent to red

BrickRoadDX and richy like this.
  13. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Not been trying every version so I'm falling behind in understanding the gameplay - the latest one is starting to feel a bit like wtf is going on?! A useful angle on "incremental complexity" might be to start players off with a single lane.

14. keithburgun

Yeah. I do think the game has gotten convoluted. I have a dramatically new vision for the game that I've come up with. I'll post details about it soon.

15. keithburgun

MASSIVE update to the basic rules.

Redless and Weaver like this.
  16. richy

richy Well-Known Member

The map sounds much more dynamic and interesting with that kind of layout. Also variable terrain - woo!

Haven't figured out yet what the escalation mechanics are in PTL to force it to end? Seems like a finely-balanced match with its tug-of-war sort of mechanic could otherwise take a long (or infinite) time. The Elo system will presumably be doing its best to ensure they are all finely-balanced matches.

17. keithburgun

Well there will be boss minions that spawn, so a pretty simple way to increase the escalation is to increase the frequency of those. We could also scale enemy minion HP or something, I wouldn't mind doing that.

18. keithburgun

Been blazing forward so fast that I don't even have time to write about what I'm doing - you should really come by the stream if you want more details but I thought I'd post these here:

zone types.jpg strategy breakdown.jpg

19. keithburgun

Two awesome things! One, I got ZONES in. 4 zones chosen randomly that mean different things (see the above post):

Zones.png

Also, check out this cool DRAGON boss, who will appear in the Desert.
    dragon.png

Redless likes this.
  20. keithburgun

Video Update!

richy likes this.