Designing a Puzzle game to understand Strategy Game Design

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Patrick Lemon, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Patrick Lemon

Patrick Lemon New Member

Hi everyone!
    After seeing the 'Gamelets idea' I thought it would be cool to deconstruct puzzle games in the pursuit of understanding strategy games, and @keithburgun inspired me to make a video-y thing instead of writing it on a blog. As @richy put it “there's a ton of useful ground to be covered charting the "route" from puzzles to strategy games in design terms”.

I’ve only made the first 2 episodes so far so let me know what you think of the project and stuff in general as I can really bend it round to what people think will be the most useful.

richy, Redless and BrickRoadDX like this.
  2. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Have you read my DPX thread? It takes a different deconstruction, breaking down puzzles by the approaches players need to use to solve them and using those approaches to inform puzzle design.

Patrick Lemon likes this.
  3. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

I think your puzzle-game looks neat (cool theme). Also I think your explanation for how to design puzzle-games sounds correct. I am a little bit skeptical of the utility of gamelets as really useful tools in strategy game design, and I'm maybe a little more skeptical of the idea of using puzzle design as a way to explain or help with strategy game design, but I'm very curious.

4. Patrick Lemon

Patrick Lemon New Member

@Bucky this is really interesting thanks for posting it. It's interesting that you approached it from a different angle, I will probably talk about this in my next video as I start to prototype and think about the player more specifically.
    @keithburgun haha I'm really embarrassed, the game in the video isn't my game, I just played it for something to watch while I talked (It's called Stevens Sausage Roll). Sorry for the confusion I'll make that more clear from now on.
    I'm curious to see where it goes as well, it should be useful in one way or another (even if its hey we should approach strategy design from angle X as the puzzle thing ended in Y).

keithburgun likes this.
  5. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Your Criterion 2 (create windows into a machine) seems closely related to discovery; if the puzzle's a "joke of understanding", the discovery is a punchline.

6. richy

richy Well-Known Member

I hope you can continue with this - whether it be short videos or even just written form. Anything describing the thought processes involved on the journey from initial idea to finished game is valuable to inspire others to give it a try!

And if you uncover some nuggets of deeper general truth about puzzle games (or other forms like strategy games) in the process, so much the better. In addition to the benefit of the truths themselves, you'll have shown that things become clear in the doing which aren't apparent just from the talking :)

keithburgun and Patrick Lemon like this.
  7. Patrick Lemon

Patrick Lemon New Member

Hi guys I just finished wrapping up episode 2!:

@richy Really appreciate the kind words, I really hope this is useful in some way to someone :)

This episode was a little longer but I really get into the actual creation of the game and what the process is like.
    If you find certain information more interesting or disagree with a design choice I made please start a discussion :)

keithburgun, Redless and VMaikel like this.
  8. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

I don't have much to say about the episode right now, but here's a puzzle:

:charles::tile::tile::tile: :auro: :slime-flat::charles:
    :charles::tile: :charles::tile::tile::tile: :charles:
    :pillar: :charles: :pillar: :charles: :pillar: :charles::pillar:
    :charles::tile: :tile::tile: :tile: :tile::charles:
    :charles::pillar: :charles: :tile: :charles: :pillar: :charles:

I think this demonstrates your rules have some depth to them.

(E): Reverted the right edge to a mirror image of the left.

(E2) Hard mode:
    :charles::tile::tile: :tile: :auro: :pillar::charles:
    :charles::tile::tile: :tile::tile::tile: :charles:
    :pillar: :charles: :pillar: :charles: :pillar: :charles::pillar:
    :charles::tile: :tile::tile: :tile: :tile::charles:
    :charles::pillar: :charles: :tile: :charles: :slime-flat: :charles:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    keithburgun likes this.
  9. Patrick Lemon

Patrick Lemon New Member

@Bucky this is so cool! I'll put these puzzles you designed into a seperate build today for people to play!
    Episode 3 coming over the next few days too, I had to prioritize some other things so sorry for the delay.
    (edit) Here are is the build with @Bucky 's levels in for everyone to play!
    https://www.4shared.com/file/Ii36N9Cjei/Puzzle_Game_With_Bucky_Levels.html

Also Bucky I played through your levels when they were in the game so you could see someone playing them for the first time! Was so fun to play new levels of the puzzle that I didn't make! Here's me playing
    p.s I redid the art the other day to make it nicer when I test the game with people, that's why it looks different

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    keithburgun likes this.
  10. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

"Tiger's mouth" puzzle:

:pillar: :pillar::tile::charles::auro:
    :pillar::charles::tile::tile::tile:
    :slime-flat::pillar::charles::charles::tile:
    :tile::charles::tile::tile::tile:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Patrick Lemon likes this.
  11. Patrick Lemon

Patrick Lemon New Member

12. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Is that a preview of another level I see at the end?

13. Patrick Lemon

Patrick Lemon New Member