Clockwork Game Design podcast

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by keithburgun, Oct 10, 2015.

1. SwiftSpear

SwiftSpear Active Member

If James Lantz wants to meet up some time and be treated to a free meal and/or some free drinks he can feel free to hit me up. I'd love to get to know more people in the local games industry. Unfortunately I only have insight into the boring non-gaming local tech scene for reciprocation.

2. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

I just got OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION that I have Greg Street, Lead Designer at Riot Games confirmed for next Monday. Anyone have questions for him?

liltiger, jasimon and RyanRothweiler like this.
  3. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Dominion - why is it the way it is, and what did they learn from it?

4. richy

richy Well-Known Member

What does he think explains players mainly wanting to buy/play games that revolve around fighting and killing? E.g. does it reflect some underlying trend in society, or something more practical like just getting maximum eye candy on screen? Or something else entirely!

5. liltiger

liltiger Member

Would like his thoughts on the dilemma of the business needs of adding constantly new content (especially champions) versus actually making the best game possible

6. keithburgun

7. Patrick Lemon

Patrick Lemon New Member

I'm so excited to listen this!
    Love the podcast Keith! <3

keithburgun likes this.
  8. keithburgun

Thanks Patrick!

Patrick Lemon likes this.
  9. keithburgun

10. keithburgun

11. keithburgun

12. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Excellent interview - thanks guys. You both came across really well IMO - very intelligent questioning and answering. It's clear Jon has thought a lot about fundamental design issues with 4X games and all the ideas he was expressing sounded pretty good. The single build queue in ATG seems like an aggressive attack on micromanagement and I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out.

While it would have been interesting to hear a JS reaction to you pressing him on some of the wilder Dinofarmy ideas we normally talk about here, I think the interview ends up being much more coherent and satisfying for keeping a focus on 4X and grand strategy. Seeing how the genre solves its design problems within its own constraints (the need to provide immersion, fantasy etc.) is very informative even if theoretically we usually handwave away the existence of any such practical constraints!

keithburgun likes this.