1. Push the Lane Kickstarter is LIVE!
    Dismiss Notice

Broke the game, cannot spawn new hives

Discussion in 'EMPIRE (by Crazy Monkey Studios)' started by twobeef, Aug 24, 2014.

1. twobeef

twobeef New Member

...Though that may be because there's nowhere left to spawn them. Playing with the Senator, free healing at the end of a battle is OP. Decided to keep going and see what would happen. I've clicked End Turn about 150 times now, and nothing new is popping up.

This is a bunch of iPod screenshots pasted together. That one green spot at the center-top of the map registers as a mountain when I click on it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    vivafringe likes this.
  2. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Unfortunately, @twobeef it seems like your screenshot there isn't working. But we'll do something about the Senator - I agree.

3. Senator

Senator Moderator

Works for me! Quite a crazy scene.

4. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

5. Waterd

Waterd Well-Known Member

If you ask me , you have beaten the game :p

6. keithburgun

I dunno what the deal is with that PNG, it just won't load for me. But I have a feeling I know what it looks like.

7. Nachtfischer

twobeef and keithburgun like this.
  8. keithburgun

Wow, that is scary. Haha! So purple! Hard to say who won exactly. I mean the monsters can't spawn, but they seem to have already destroyed the world.

I'm also gonna see if we can add more of a late game sharper difficulty ramp, perhaps with the big monsters scaling HP or something similar - in addition to nerfing Senator (will probably make him heal 1 damaged unit for 1 hp, rather than all).

9. Nachtfischer

But... the one green spot! :D

twobeef likes this.
  10. twobeef

twobeef New Member

Well, if I wanted to start clicking things like a Candy Crush addict, I could just keep throwing feasts until I get to 10,000 victory points. How can you say the world's been destroyed when we get to just sit around and feast all the time? :V

The base issue with Senator healing is that I can strategically damage my units, choosing to give everyone 1 damage a round and spread that damage around, and yet keep a fully-healed team, so I don't need to keep founding new cities to make new units. And once I figured out that I earn new green-defense cards with each level, it's much easier to keep to those small damage pools by taking lots of All Halts and Improvisations for free redraws and get green on the table.

If you're trying to make a system where the player has to expect that his units are going to die sometime and has to expect to found new cities to replenish the army, then I kinda feel like one point of free healing is still counterintuitive to that purpose. Sure, one army gets a Blessing card, but you can't rely on one healing card in a 100-card deck. And now I can't get magic cards after every battle, so I can't keep drawing Purges to keep my deck size low.

Then you throw in the free early gems that the Senator gets from his unique card, and you have no problem keeping 3 archers in your party. Before you get to that 100-card deck, you use All Halts and Paralyzes to slow the game down and cycle through your deck, and then you have a stockpile of gems for the late game.

I maybe need to go back and try the Warchief. She was already the weakest character in the original game patch, compared to the free healing or free redraws of the other two characters. But when playing Senator, I had no problem keeping my deck balanced with a choice of 3 basic cards, and I always had enough gems for magic cards and had no desire to take soldiers over cavalry for any reason. I still feel like playing Warchief is Hard Mode.

P.S. I'm a truck driver with a lot of short bits of downtime while waiting for the truck to load and unload, and Empire's been one of the game's that I pull out for 15-minute bursts of time-killing for quite some time now. So a bit of thanks is deserved. Though I suspect I liked the game more when it was about enemy armies that stacked up and attacked you on the first round of play, forcing you to build a clean, tight deck if you wanted to get to 1000 points, rather than having to deal with endless waves of little armies.

keithburgun likes this.
  11. keithburgun

@twobeef for what it's worth, the game is supposed to be much shorter, and I suspect for players who don't play as much as you do, it tends to be.

Do you agree that changing the Senator's ability from (ALL units heal 1 hp) to (a random unit heals 1 hp) would be enough or do you think it should go farther?

Definitely do try out the Warchief, I'd love to hear your reaction on that.

The game is certainly a work in progress. I'm glad you at least enjoyed it enough to get to this level. If it's up to me, we'll keep updating it for years to come. One big factor towards that happening is word of mouth spreading, and also us getting approved on Steam Greenlight, which you can help out by voting / tweeting / FBing about.

12. keithburgun

Good news! A new patch is in the works with some significant balance fixes.

deluks917 and Nachtfischer like this.