Alakaram in REAL TIME!?

Discussion in 'Alakaram' started by keithburgun, May 3, 2017.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Hey, if you've been on the Discord or maybe somewhere else you might have heard that Alakaram might be switching to real-time gameplay. I just wrote up a bunch of details on how this would work exactly and am running it by Blake and our Dinofarm Patreon patrons. It will also be discussed on the Dinofarm Patron Podcast next episode. Once details are a bit more ironed out, I'll be posting some details here, but just wanted to let you guys know that this is coming! Also interested to hear if you have any responses to this.

2. Weaver

Weaver Active Member

Are there specific reasons of doing so? I don't think turn-based games are less accessible in general. They just please a different audience, which is also very large.

3. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Well, not much to go on at this stage. Tile map games are usually a good fit for turn-based because the quantization of space ties in with the quantization of time into turns. Will be interesting to see if the game goes full real-time, turn-based-with-timer, or something else new and exciting!

4. keithburgun

This does not match my experience or perception. It seems like the audience for real time games is maybe 100-1000 times the size of that of the turn based crowd. How many turn based popular games even come out every year? I'd be surprised if the number was larger than 4. My guess is 2.

I do think we'll incorporate in-gameplay-pauses. So everything is happening in real time but when you aim a spell, it pauses for that moment.

5. BrickRoadDX

BrickRoadDX Well-Known Member

My reaction at this point is curiosity. The turn-based/timer/real-time strategy spectrum is very interesting to explore. Looking forward to seeing more :).

6. keithburgun

@Bucky brought up the idea of a monster who has a hook that pulls you like in other videogames. It brings up a bigger question about real time gameplay in general.

I'm kind of skeptical about having something you have to "dodge". In general I think the gameplay should be kind of like, when monsters get close to you, you take damage. This is one of the major concerns I have about going real time. I don't want players to be able to "get good at the tactical layer" really. Like there should be a super low skill ceiling.

So if we did have a "hook" guy, it'd be something more like, if you get within a radius of him, he pulls you in. Period. He doesn't shoot out a hook. Or if he does, it's purely visual/aesthetic. You're getting pulled in. Same with damage/projectile type stuff. The combination of the movement being kind of slow and cumbersome, plus the "stuff just damages you" should hopefully achieve the goal of making the tactical layer very low skill ceiling. If you have other thoughts on this I'd like to hear them.

7. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

So you don't like this guy? -> :troggle:

8. keithburgun

We could do that guy, he would just have to be homing / never miss. Or maybe the only way you can make him miss is by putting a vortex between himself and you? Not sure.

9. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Why do you want the tactical layer to be shallow?

10. keithburgun

Because if it's deep, players can just get really good at it and steamroll the large arcs.

richy likes this.
  11. keithburgun