100 Rogues on Android

Discussion in '100 Rogues' started by camdenbuzard, Feb 20, 2015.

1. camdenbuzard

camdenbuzard New Member

Note: This is crossposted over here

My question is fairly simple: When, if ever, will we see a version of 100 Rogues for Android devices that are not the Ouya? I switched from iOS to Android several years ago, and I still check for 100 Rogues every so often in the play store.

100 Rogues is my favorite roguelike, on any platform, and it's extremely disappointing to see it locked away on the i-devices and macs. I'm not sure whether you haven't ported it for fear that it would never take in enough money to pay for itself, or what. In my opinion, 100 Rogues would be a huge hit on Android, simply because there is nothing like it available. I know, because I've looked, extensively.

There is a very active subreddit for Android games, and I think 100 Rogues is exactly the kind of game that would get attention there. I would happily pay 3 or 4 dollars for the game, especially if that included the extra classes. Please, I know that you're working on Auro and trying to make it the best game you can, but please please please port 100 Rogues to Android.

If you simply have no plans, or no desire to do so, have you considered opening the source or something of that nature? I know I'm grasping at straws, but I absolutely adore 100 Rogues, and I know I'm not alone. It would be a real shame to let the game wither on the vine, so to speak.

Thanks!
    --Camden

2. major_shiznick

major_shiznick Well-Known Member

http://www.100rogues.com/ hasn't updated since 2013, when the Ouya update went live and presumably flopped. I've contacted Wes a few times about porting that update to OS X and heard nothing. It's a shame because the OS X version is kind of embarrassingly busted. I presume if there's no interest in updating current release platforms, there's also no interest in bringing in new platforms. I hope I'm wrong about that, though.

Edit:
    Oh, and the Forums on that site are gone, it seems. Yeah, seems like it's already been abandoned.

3. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

Deleted the other thread; there's no need for double-posting. And I think everyone would prefer that 100 Rogues was cross platform! I know I certainly would. Dinofarm Games has no direct control over the 100 Rogues codebase so we literally can't release updates or work on ports.

I think early 2013 or so Fusion switched over from supporting the iOS version to creating the Ouya version. I believe around that time they also released the latest iOS patch that fixed a bunch of significant bugs.

Since then there has been a little bit of talk of an Android port, since I think there's some code that can be used from the Ouya version to do that, but I'm not sure if it's being prioritized by Fusion. I've written to them though and I'll write you guys again if they get back to me on it.

4. camdenbuzard

camdenbuzard New Member

It would bum me out in the extreme if the game were simply abandoned. I had many, many hours of enjoyment with the game, and I thought that it had some very interesting roguelike mechanics. It would be sad to see it just fade away.

5. keithburgun

keithburgun Administrator, Lead Designer Staff Member

I'm with you camdenbuzard!

In the meantime, definitely check out Auro, which is out on Android and iOS now. It's definitely very different from 100 Rogues, but in many ways it's the game I was trying to create when I made 100 Rogues.

6. bearboygoodcanplay

bearboygoodcanplay New Member

100 rogues is one of my favorite mobile roguelike games. After so long, I still try to it now (still no win with lizardman yet). Sadly version 3.6 have some annoying bugs such as blocked off shops, strange storerooms in wall, item pick up crash, and enemies that pass through wall and melee attack player from far away. like what camdenbuzard said, it would be a pity to just have a game like this abandoned. it will be such a good news to see a well tested final update.

7. tigert

tigert New Member

I also love 100 Rogues. I have a friend who has an android and I got him into Auro but he also really really has to play 100 rogues, its just such a different experience and better in some ways than Auro, like Auro does not have loot and stuff like that... An android version would be a huge hit I bet. Theres nothing like it!